Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:00:41 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
	Author(s)	: S. Thomson, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-08.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2005-5-12
	
This document specifies the steps a host takes in deciding how to
   autoconfigure its interfaces in IP version 6.  The autoconfiguration
   process includes generating a link-local address, generating global
   addresses via stateless address autoconfiguration, and the Duplicate
   Address Detection procedure to verify the uniqueness of the addresses
   on a link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 02:57:33 +0900

Hi Margaret,

A new version of the rfc2462bis draft is now available, in which I
believe I've resolved all IESG comments except this one from Allison:

   No updated implementation report; I'd like to see reporting in
   there of the basis for the dropping of the Managed bit, which is
   stated in the draft as an implementation result.  It's a good
   simplification, it sounds like, but documenting this in the report
   would be good.
   Didn't the reading of 2026 come out updated implementation reports
   for recycling DS's?

I've asked related questions about this comment on the wg list two
times, including requested information at the Minneapolis meeting, but
I've not got any responses...if this comment does not require any
change to the document itself, I believe we are done.  If it does, or
if it requires any particular action (e.g., collecting implementation
report), please clarify that.

Please also note that the following comment, also from Allison, may be
a blocking issue in a procedural sense:

   There is a lot of normative dependency on the recycling DS of
   Neighbory Discovery which not even in the tracker yet, so are
   there some instabilities?

As I answered at this list, 2461bis and 2462bis should be updated at
the same timing, so we'll eventually need to wait for 2461bis to be
approved.  If we reach the point, please just keep 2461bis sleeping
for now.

Thanks,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-08.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:00:41 -0400
List-Id: "IP Version 6 Working Group \(ipv6\)" <ipv6.ietf.org>

	

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:17:49 -0400

Hi Jinmei,

At 2:57 AM +0900 5/14/05, JINMEI Tatuya / 
>report), please clarify that.

It sounds like he document is ready, which is great, thanks!

It is up to the WG Chairs, Bob and Brian, to put together an 
implementation report.  In this particular case, this may only 
involve pointing at the old implementation report and explaining why 
the changes in this document do not warrant gathering further 
implementation data.  I will work with Bob and Brian on this.

>approved.  If we reach the point, please just keep 2461bis sleeping

Brian and Bob, what is the status on 2461bis?  Are we expecting it to 
be submitted for publication soon?

Thanks,
Margaret

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 00:33:00 +0900

>>>>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 02:57:33 +0900, 
>>>>> JINMEI Tatuya <[email-masked]> said:

> approved.  If we reach the point, please just keep 2461bis sleeping

Oops...although this should be pretty clear from the context, I meant
in the last sentence that "...please just keep *2462bis* sleeping for
now".

Sorry for the possible confusion.

					JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 04:15:21 +0900

>>>>> On Sun, 15 May 2005 11:17:49 -0400, 
>>>>> Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]> said:

> implementation data.  I will work with Bob and Brian on this.

Cool, thanks.

>> approved.  If we reach the point, please just keep 2462bis sleeping
>> for now.

> be submitted for publication soon?

2461bis has passed the first wg last call.  And, in my understanding,
there were several non-trivial comments and we expect a new version
addressing the comments before submitting the document to the IESG.
As far as I can see, the comments were not so controversial, so I
expect the next version will leave the wg.

					JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:32:12 -0700

Margaret,

>implementation report.  In this particular case, this may only involve 
>pointing at the old implementation report and explaining why the changes 
>in this document do not warrant gathering further implementation data.  I 
>will work with Bob and Brian on this.

Brian and I discussed this earlier today.  We conclude that since this 
document is being recycled at Draft Standard and we are not making any 
incompatible changes, we don't think that new implementation reports are 
required.  The current report is at:

   http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/nd-auto-implementations.txt

We also encourage people who have implementations who are not listed, to 
submit one.  They can use the existing reports as a template.

>Brian and Bob, what is the status on 2461bis?  Are we expecting it to be 
>submitted for publication soon?

Yes, we expect to submit it soon.  While the two document are dependent on 
each other, we think it would be OK for the IESG to consider them 
sequentially.  The reference dependances can be resolved in the RFC editor 
queue.  To say it another way, we don't think there will be any changes to 
2461bis that would require 2462bis to change.

Thanks,
Bob & Brian