Subject: Update to <draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-07.txt>

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:08:50 -0700

To clear what we hope is the last IESG "Discuss" comment on this document, 
the AD's plan to add a note after the third paragraph in the Introduction 
section (that starts with "This document describes an optional extension to 
Neighbor Discovery Router Advertisement messages.....") as an RFC-Editor 
note.  The text is:

   Note that since these procedures are applicable to hosts only,
   the forwarding algorithm used by the routers (including hosts
   with enabled IP forwarding) is not affected.

We wanted to pass this by the working group to see if any objects to this 
change.  We think the additional text is fine.

Thanks,
Bob Hinden and Brian Haberman

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:48:18 +0300 (EEST)

> change.  We think the additional text is fine.

This seems like a good clarification in general, but it wouldn't hurt 
if it was grounded more strongly on how it follows that routers don't 
use these procedures.

AFAICS, the routers don't use this stuff simply because they're not 
supposed to listen to RAs (but having exact quote & reference would 
be good).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings