Subject: Implementation change affect from m and o bits

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:09:05 -0400

The question asked is what is the implementation affect.  I know
something about this hands on from coding it :--)

If it was just dhc client and dhc server that I will input can be
changed rather easily to support a change in syntax and semantics, and
as dhc for ipv6 is now just being deployed it will not be that painful
to rev if that is what the dhc and ipv6 wgs want to do.  That is my
input on that end.  Now if we started whacking basic architecture of dhc
for IPv6 then I would give you a different answer.  

But the m and o bit also affect the code path that scans the ND packet
and looks for the m and o bit as other bits in ND.  Then there is code
from addrconf to help resolve the if condtions of what to do or not do
from the m and o bit.  This code base can be integrated and varys from
implementer to implementer from discussions with many of you over the
years when we talk about implementing our beloved IETF specifications.
This part of the m and o bit code is long before the dhc client begins
processing and the code to do dhc client procesing for ipv6.

If we get rid of the m and o bit it will affect three pieces of code:
ND, Addrconf Selection, and then dhc.  So it is not just changing dhc
code.

So if we change the bits or alter them this is what we are facing.

I think before we know whether this is worth the change or doing it we
need to be sure what we want to do and then and only then can determine
implementation decision.

The other option is keep the bits as is and then change how they are
used or verify how they are used and that will only affect the
indirection for Addrconf and dhc most likely.

/jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------