Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-pashby-ipv6-detecting-spoofing-00.txt

From: "Pashby, Ronald W CTR NSWCDD-B35" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:12:35 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 18:50
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pashby-ipv6-detecting-spoofing-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Detection of IPv6 Neighbor Discovery and Host Redirection Spoofing
	Author(s)	: R. Pashby
	Filename	: draft-pashby-ipv6-detecting-spoofing-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 2005-7-14
	
The purpose of this draft is to provide a method to detect 
exploitation of inherent vulnerabilities in the Neighbor Discovery 
processes.

There are two well documented vulnerabilities in the basic IPv6 
architecture: Neighbor Discover spoofing and Host Redirection.  
There already exists the SeND RFC [send] that addresses 
authenticating these interactions. Certain networks may choose not 
to uses (or cannot use) SeND, for instance, networks that use DHCP 
or statically assigned addresses.

There is an underlying security principle that says, ^If you can 
block a attack do it. If you cannot block it, detect it.  Even if 
you can block it, detect it.^ This proposal outlines simple 
modifications to the basic protocols to allow for easily detecting 
these attacks. Through proactive systems, once an attack is 
detected it could easily provide blocking by isolating the 
attacking host via Access Control Lists (ACLs) or disabling ports.

The basic method proposed is to force packets used in these attacks 
to be multicast to the attacked nodes Solicited Node Multicast 
group, thus allowing a security device to detect when it is 
occurring.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pashby-ipv6-detecting-spoofing-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pashby-ipv6-detecting-spoofing-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pashby-ipv6-detecting-spoofing-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------