Subject: remarks

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:38:00 +0200

My remarks in the session just now:

IIRC, 24 bits of the address are encoded in the solicited node  
address, good luck finding hardware that can handle this many  
multicast groups.

I still would like to know what exactly requirement 3 would be:

- still DHCPv6 if routers send the default 00 MO bits, or
- "requirement" to do DHCPv6 always regardless what routers say

(Note that all I care about / anyone here should care about is out of  
the box behavior, if people configure their hosts to play the French  
national anthem when the O bit is set, which is clearly not mandated  
by any RFC, they can always do that. Vendors just shouldn't make it  
happen by default.)

The question: are there now implementations that do something  
different when the MO bits aren't 00 as opposed to when they are?  
I.e., what do we break by redifining these bits?

All the stuff I've seen in the wild just ignores the bits.

Iljitsch van Beijnum

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------