Subject: Re: comments about draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-03

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jinmei,

> As requested, here are my comments about the addrselect-api draft.
> 
> First of all, I must say I'm not particularly fascinated by this API.
> As (I think) I said before, I believe this can be useful in very
> limited situations only (especially because applications need to be
> modified - I generally agree with Francis on this point), and most
> applications (and application writers) wouldn't be bothered with using
> the additional feature.  In fact, the only people I've ever seen who
> expressed interest in this API are mobile IP(v6) implementors,
> expecting this API can be used in their mobile IP(v6) specific
> implementations (e.g., ones that negotiate with the home agent).  I
> respect that the draft provides one section showing usage examples,
> but these are not convincing enough to me.

Yes, this document would be useful for IP mobility aware applications.

> But I hear that the IPv6 chairs admitted this document to be published
> as an individual RFC, and so I won't insist this point further.
> 

This document is targeting for an individual RFC.

Thanks for the timely comments.  After receiving the designated individual
comments, the draft authors will go through the issues and comments, and
will reply on the list, in a few weeks.

Regards,
-Samita

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:33:40 +0900

>>>>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:02 -0700 (PDT), 
>>>>> Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]> said:

> Yes, this document would be useful for IP mobility aware applications.

(Just to make it sure) my point was that "mobility aware applications"
were the *only* known example where this API might be useful in
practice, even though the API spec is quite general (and that I'm
personally not fascinated by this API due to the limited
applicability).

But again, I won't oppose to publishing this document if others think
this API is generally useful.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]