Subject: 2461bis and host-load-sharing

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:36:39 -0800

draft-ietf-ipv6-2461bis-05.txt	says in 6.3.6:
    An implementation may choose to always return the same router or
    cycle through the router list in a round-robin fashion as long
    as it always returns a reachable or a probably reachable router
    when one is available.

However RFC 4311 (draft-ietf-ipv6-host-load-sharing-04.txt) updates 
RFC 2461, is a Proposed Standard, and says:
    [ND] ...
    specifies that an implementation may always choose the same router
    (e.g., the first in the list) or may cycle through the routers in
    a round-robin manner.  Both of these suggestions are problematic.
    [...]

If 2461bis is intended to obsolete RFC 2461, then I think the statement
in 6.3.6 should be updated to be in accordance with RFC 4311.  Otherwise
RFC 4311 will have to be republished to update 2461bis.

-Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------