Subject: RE: IPR Notification on RFC 2462 and 2464

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 11:06:59 -0800

Microsoft has a policy of complying with IETF procedures, including
complying with patent disclosure requirements. If we believe that we
have IPR that reads on a particular RFC or draft, we disclose it. 

U.S. Patent No. 6,101,499 refers to allocation of 32 bit IPv4 addresses,
and deals with the problem of reliable assignments in a rather narrow
number space -- issues that are very different from simply concatenating
a prefix and a unique suffix, as in Netware or IPv6. Microsoft did issue
a disclosure statement on August 3, 2000, related to the automatic
generation of IPv4 addresses
(http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/MICROSOFT-499.txt). If we believed that
U.S. Patent No. 6,101,499 covered the automatic assignment of IPv6
addresses, we would have issued a disclosure statement a long time ago.
 
-- Christian Huitema

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mark Smith
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 4:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPR Notification on RFC 2462 and 2464

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:43:50 -0500
"Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We had stateless implemented in 1994 and the company in question was
not
> part of the original ND or Stateless discussions except now via
> Christian Huitema who is now with the company in question.  Also I am
> sure Bill Simpson can verify prior art and most likely even back to
OSI
> ES-IS.  This is really to bad folks.
> 

I'm pretty sure both Novell's IPX and Apple's Appletalk also use
similar, if
not the same techniques to generate automated layer 3 addresses, in the
absence of routers announcing prefixes to use on the link.

Regards,
Mark.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------