Subject: [ND on point-to-point links]RE: ipv6 Digest, Vol 24, Issue 2

From: zou rong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:17:12 +0800

I think it is not mandatory to implement ND on p2p links or it is not
mandatory to do Address Resolution on p2p links, but should implement
DAD on p2p links. To the PPPoE scenario, I think should not implement
Address Resolution on virtual PPP links.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ipv6 Digest, Vol 24, Issue 2

Send ipv6 mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of ipv6 digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. ND on point-to-point links (Yu-Jung Lee)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:05:31 +0800
From: "Yu-Jung Lee" <[email-masked]>
Subject: ND on point-to-point links
To: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <006d01c656ec$fea1e050$471517ac@1194201>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5"

Hi,

According to RFC 2461, there's a description about ND on point-to-point
links: 

     point-to-point - Neighbor Discovery handles such links just like
                      multicast links.  (Multicast can be trivially
                      provided on point to point links, and interfaces
                      can be assigned link-local addresses.)  Neighbor
                      Discovery should be implemented as described in
                      this document.

The saying is not explicit enough. Does it mean it's not mandatory to
implement ND on p2p links? If it's not a MUST, what is a node supposed
to do when it receives a NS? Currently, we test against Juniper's router
with p2p link (including PPPoE, PPPoA, and RFC 1483 Route). Our device
sends out NS, but the peer does not send a NA message in response, which
causes some interoperability issues. Besides, on a p2p link, is it
mandatory for a router to send out RA?

Best Regards,

Jessie
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www1.ietf.org/pipermail/ipv6/attachments/20060403/28ca5860/attach
ment.html

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
ipv6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6

End of ipv6 Digest, Vol 24, Issue 2
***********************************

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------