Subject: Re: Making private IPv4 addresses public

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:36:59 +0200

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 01:10:12PM -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right wg for this idea, or for that matter if
> I'm suggesting anything new.
[...]
> Wouldn't it be nice if we could have NAPT without the TCP/UDP Port ID
> trick?
You're reinventing source routing.
[...]
> To enable this, one could assign an option in the IP header,
> conceptually similar to the source routing option. So at the end of the
> standard IP header would be appended the source and destination private
> IP addresses from behind the NAT. Dynamic DNS can be augmented to
> include this information. And note that the private IP addresses behind
> any given NAT can be reused by other NATs at will, just as they are now.
> DHCP would also work just as it does now in NAPT.

Okay... you even know that you're reinventing source routing. Adding the
information to DNS might have been a great idea 20 years ago - nowadays
we're switching to IPv6 which has 128 bits end-to-end.

	-is

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:19:37 +0900

Re'mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> 	Hello,
> 
> Le Mercredi 31 Mai 2006 20:10, Manfredi, Albert E a e'crit :
>> conceptually similar to the source routing option. So at the end of
>> the standard IP header would be appended the source and destination
>> private IP addresses from behind the NAT.
> 
> Such a proposal would probably have made sense in the first half of the 
> nineties. I'm actually pretty confident such a proposal has already 
> been made, though I must admit I don't known - at that time I wouldn't 
> have recognized the Internet (let alone IP and IETF) if it ate my ice 
> cream as I was still attending primary school.

Your guess is correct. This seems not so old though.
http://www.nats-project.org/index.html

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:57:57 -0700

Hi,

While this is an interesting topic, it's not appropriate for the the  
IPv6 mailing list.

There is lots of prior work on schemes to expand the IPv4 address  
space using various forms of source routing and/or encapsulation.   
Even one written by me, namely RFC1955.  The community decided to not  
adopt any of them and instead choose to go forward with what became  
IPv6.

Again, please don't don't discuss that here.

Bob
IPv6 co-chair