Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-arifumi-ipv6-rfc3484-revise-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:21:32 +0100

> 2.4.  To make address type dependent control possible
...
>    For example, You can set priority on RFC 3041 [RFC3041] address by
>    putting a line in policy table specifying RFC 3041 address by 128-bit
>    prefixlen and continuing to update policy table according to RFC 3041
>    address re-generation.  But, this is surely troublesome for users and
>    implementers.

I'm not sure I understand what this means. Can give a more detailed
example?

...
>    To prefer privacy address by default, and to prefer RA-generated
>    address for site internal, the policy table will look like this.
> 
>            Prefix                         Pref   Label
>            2001:db8:1234::(PRIVACY)/128   30     2
>            ::/0                           10     2
>            2001:db8:1234::(RA):/128       30     1
>            2001:db8::/48                  20     1

Does this mean that (PRIVACY) and (RA) will be literally in
the table or does it stand for something else?

    Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:03:23 +0900

Brian,
thank you for your comments.

Firstly, let me announce my I-D draft that summarizes the discussion
we had at this ML long long ago.
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/i-d-announce/current/msg14135.html

I welcome every comment. Now, I'm having a trouble finding a place for my I-D,
because intarea is for RAM this time at 68th IETF. :(

Comments below.

> From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
> Date: 2007/03/06 1:21
> Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-arifumi-ipv6-rfc3484-revise-00.txt
> To: IPv6 <[email-masked]>
> 
> 

I feel sorry for my poor description.
For example, if you use a RFC 3041 address "2001:db8:1234::1:2:3:4",
you can configure when to use RFC 3041 address and when not to use it
by using the following policy table.

            Prefix                         Pref   Label
            2001:db8:1234::1:2:3:4         30     2
            ::/0                           10     2
            2001:db8:1234::a               30     1
            2001:db8::/48                  20     1

However, RFC 3041 address changes frequently. So you have to configure
your policy table accordingly every time RFC 3041 address changes.

            Prefix                         Pref   Label
            2001:db8:1234::5:6:7:8         30     2      <-- change
            ::/0                           10     2
            2001:db8:1234::a               30     1
            2001:db8::/48                  20     1

Briefly, if you want to use finer grained control(not just on-off switch)
of RFC 3041 address, you can use policy table by stating 128 bit of your
RFC 3041 address and keeping track of address changes.

> the table or does it stand for something else?

The system, usually OS kernel, knows the attributes of each address that
the system possesses. That is, which is RA-generated address, which is
RFC 3041 address, which is manually assigned address and which is 
DHCP-based address.

Our motivation is to make it possible for users or site administrators
to achieve address attribute dependent address selection. So, I don't
stick to how this is implemented, macro or flag. What's important is that
there should be any measure for users to tell the system which kind of
address they want to use for a specific destination.

I received a related question from Tim Chown at v6ops ML on 19 Feb.
I hope this helps.

Best regards.

-- 
Arifumi Matsumoto
    IP Technology Expert Team
    Secure Communication Project
    NTT Information Sharing Platform Laboratories
    E-mail: [email-masked]