Subject: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-haberman-ipv6-ra-flags-option-01.txt]

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:00:41 -0400

IPv6 WG,
     This is an update based on feedback received on the list and via
private e-mail.  Please review and comment.  I would still like to
solicit input on WG adoption.

Regards,
Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-haberman-ipv6-ra-flags-option-01.txt
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:50:02 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Router Advertisement Flags Option
	Author(s)	: B. Haberman, R. Hinden
	Filename	: draft-haberman-ipv6-ra-flags-option-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2007-4-18
	
The IPv6 Neighbor Discovery's Router Advertisement message contains
   an 8-bit field reserved for single-bit flags.  Several protocols have
   reserved flags in this field and others are preparing to reserve a
   sufficient number of flags to exhaust the field.  This document
   defines an option to the Router Advertisement message that expands
   the available number of flag bits available.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haberman-ipv6-ra-flags-option-01.txt

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:05:38 +0200

Brian Haberman wrote:
> IPv6 WG, This is an update based on feedback received on the list and
> via private e-mail.  Please review and comment.  I would still like
> to solicit input on WG adoption.

My previous comment on the draft (this option is only for RA, not all 
NDP) was included.  I support WG adoption of this document.

There are at least three potential uses of this draft: DNA (cited in the
draft), netlmm recently posted here and finally a potential use by
Mobile Routers.

A minor comment on the References section: RFC2461 is currently being
revised by draft-ietf-ipv6-2461bis-11.

I think maybe the document could also include a short paragraph about 
how legacy systems (those not implementing this draft) will not crash 
when this option is deployed in routers.  But maybe this is already well 
understood.

Alex

> 
> Regards, Brian
> 
> 
> -------- Original Message -------- Subject: I-D
> ACTION:draft-haberman-ipv6-ra-flags-option-01.txt Date: Wed, 18 Apr
> 2007 18:50:02 -0400 From: [email-masked] Reply-To:
> [email-masked] To: [email-masked]
> 
> Title		: IPv6 Router Advertisement Flags Option Author(s)	: B.
> Haberman, R. Hinden Filename	:
> draft-haberman-ipv6-ra-flags-option-01.txt Pages		: 7 Date		:
> 2007-4-18  The IPv6 Neighbor Discovery's Router Advertisement message
> contains an 8-bit field reserved for single-bit flags.  Several
> protocols have reserved flags in this field and others are preparing
> to reserve a sufficient number of flags to exhaust the field.  This
> document defines an option to the Router Advertisement message that
> expands the available number of flag bits available.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> Content-Type: text/plain Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ I-D-Announce mailing
> list [email-masked] 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list [email-masked] Administrative
> Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6 

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:16:13 -0500

The RA flag space needs to be extended. Hence I support the adoption of this
I-D as a WG doc.

One of the immediate requirements for a flag is for Proxy MIP6 as I
explained in :

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg07266.html

-Raj