Subject: Sending traffic to default router when RA has no PIO

From: "Wes Beebee \(wbeebee\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:38:18 -0400

Section 3.1 of RFC 2461 describes intended behavior when a host
receives an RA without an advertised prefix:

      "Multiple prefixes can be associated with the same link.  By
      default, hosts learn all on-link prefixes from Router
      Advertisements.  However, routers may be configured to omit some
      or all prefixes from Router Advertisements.  In such cases hosts
      assume that destinations are off-link and send traffic to routers.
      A router can then issue redirects as appropriate."

As described in our draft, this language should be strengthened to state

that without advertised prefixes, without manual configuration, and 
without redirects, hosts MUST send all non-link-local traffic to the 
default router and MUST NOT issue an NS to resolve any destination 
other than a link-local address.

Please note that a new, popular host implementation does not follow this
and failure to do so can result in lack of interoperability and
connectivity. 

- Wes Beebee

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:43:27 -0400

I have a follow up question to authors of RFC 2461 or 2461bis I-D. In
section 3.1 para mentioned below where the RFC and I-D bis say "By
default, hosts learn..." 

Since default is mentioned, can you clarify what other means exists for
a host to learn about on-link prefixes ? Are you referring to manual
configuration as another means ? What other ways besides manual config
exist to learn on-link prefixes ?

If it's only manual configuration, does it makes sense to add such a
reference? "By default" is a very loaded term that makes a reader
wonder, gee, how many other ways can one learn about on-link prefixes.

Thanks.

Hemant

-----Original Message-----
From: Wes Beebee (wbeebee) 
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 9:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Sending traffic to default router when RA has no PIO

Section 3.1 of RFC 2461 describes intended behavior when a host receives
an RA without an advertised prefix:

that without advertised prefixes, without manual configuration, and
without redirects, hosts MUST send all non-link-local traffic to the
default router and MUST NOT issue an NS to resolve any destination other
than a link-local address.

- Wes Beebee

---

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:37:53 -0400

> other than a link-local address.

This language should already be in the 2461bis, just not in the section 
you want it in.  May be this paragraph can instead be made more generic 
and do not go into to much operation detail since this is a
"Comparison with IPv4" section.

-vlad