Subject: prefix length determination for DHCPv6

From: "Leino, Tammy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:56:05 -0500

Hello,

In implementing RFC 3315, I see no option or field in the IA_NA option for a prefix length associated with an assigned IPv6 address.  How does the client determine the prefix length of the IPv6 address the server is assigning?

Furthermore, in the absence of a configured IPv6 router on the link, can the client use the DHCPv6 server to find a default gateway out of the local network?  If so, what RFC specifies this option?

Any help or referrals to additional RFCs would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tammy Leino

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:14:12 -0400

________________________________

From: Leino, Tammy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 5:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: prefix length determination for DHCPv6

Hello, 

In implementing RFC 3315, I see no option or field in the IA_NA option
for a prefix length associated with an assigned IPv6 address.  How does
the client determine the prefix length of the IPv6 address the server is
assigning? 

<hs> One way to to send a Prefix Information Option (PIO) for the
assigned address prefix in RA to the client.  PIO includes prefix
length.

</hs>

Furthermore, in the absence of a configured IPv6 router on the link, can
the client use the DHCPv6 server to find a default gateway out of the
local network?  

<hs> I don't believe so. I'll let the DHCPv6 RFC authors like Ralph
Droms and Bernie Volz verify this one. 

</hs>

Hemant

  If so, what RFC specifies this option?

Best Regards, 
Tammy Leino

---

From: "Leino, Tammy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:30:11 -0500

Thank you Hemant.  I appreciate your comments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hemant Singh (shemant) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 6:14 PM
To: Leino, Tammy; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: prefix length determination for DHCPv6

  _____  

Hello, 

</hs>

</hs>

Hemant

Best Regards, 
Tammy Leino