Subject: RE: New Routing Header!!!

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:16:43 -0400

Rough guess - ISPs don't like the prospect of having to look at/for ext hdrs of every packet ...

/TJ (mobile)

-----Original Message-----
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
To: "Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; "IPv6 WG" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 8/29/07 4:35 PM
Subject: RE: New Routing Header!!!

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> 
> On 2007-08-30 02:08, Thomas Narten wrote:
> > Sorry to interrupt, but I'd suggest that working on a new 
> RH design is
> > mostly a waste of time at this point.
> > 
> > Can we please _first_ identify a user/customer for a proposed RH, 
> 
> I agree. A use case draft should be the first step.

Problem is, I have no trouble seeing uses for RH0, or whatever new
scheme takes its place. The only problems I've seen mentioned repeatedly
are the potential for DOS attacks in ISP nets.

But ISP nets are not the only application for IPv6.

So why don't ISPs simply filter out any RH0 traffic from their edge
gateways, and leave it at that? And the rest of us can still make use of
this tool, with no change required to RFC 2460.

As always, there are workarounds like MPLS, if RH0 is eliminated. I'm
having a hard time understanding why edge router filters don't work
infinitely better than a mod to RFC 2460.

Bert

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:06:19 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: TJ [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:17 PM
To: IPv6 WG
Subject: RE: New Routing Header!!!

>> So why don't ISPs simply filter out any RH0 traffic
>> from their edge gateways, and leave it at that?
>

Granted, although at edges only. Thing is, the genie is out of that
bottle already. Words in an RFC can't provide protection against RH0 DOS
attacks, or any other future attack permitted today by some other
unknown mechanism.

Bert