Subject: RFC 5453 on Reserved IPv6 Interface Identifiers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:25:16 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5453

        Title:      Reserved IPv6 Interface Identifiers 
        Author:     S. Krishnan
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 11754
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-reserved-iids-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5453.txt

Interface identifiers in IPv6 unicast addresses are used to identify
interfaces on a link.  They are required to be unique within a
subnet.  Several RFCs have specified interface identifiers or
identifier ranges that have a special meaning attached to them.  An
IPv6 node autoconfiguring an interface identifier in these ranges
will encounter unexpected consequences.  Since there is no
centralized repository for such reserved identifiers, this document
aims to create one.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IPv6 MIB Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute