Subject: Implementation specific Interface-ID

From: Vijayrajan ranganathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:59:04 +0530

Hi Everyone,

I have an ethernet interface for which I am defining the Interface-ID
in a different manner.

For an ethernet interface with MAC "34-56-78-9A-BC-DE", I am defining
the Interface-ID to be "34-56-78-xy-zw-9A-BC-DE" instead of
"36-56-78-FF-FE-9A-BC-DE"

where x,y,z,w are my implementation-defined octets.

Note:
1. I am fine with a locally-unique Interface-ID
2. The solicited-node multicast address i'll generate for a given
unicast/anycast address based on this Interface-ID is the same as
that for RFC 2464 based Interface-ID.

Assuming I make this change in an IPv6 stack which conforms to RFCs

2464 - Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet Networks
3513 - Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Addressing Architecture
4861 - Neighbor Discovery for IP version 6 (IPv6)
4862 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
3810 - Multicast Listener Discovery Version 2 (MLDv2) for IPv6

After this change, will I still conform to these RFCs??

Thanks & Regards
Vijay

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:38:06 -0400

BTW, why do you want or need to do this? Why do you not not want to
generate a standard Interface Identifier like everyone else?

Thomas

> Thanks & Regards
> Vijay
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------