Subject: draft-yhb-6man-ra-privacy-flag-01

From: huabing yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:07:39 +0800

Hi, every member of the 6man working group,good day!

I want to describe clearly what this draft is hoping to accomplish.
Please give me a chance.

In some sites, the network administrators want to deploy SLAAC, and just
permit the EUI-64 addresses to communicate with the Internet.They will
do as follows:

(1)Bind the MAC address and the EUI-64 address for each host on the access
switches.
Because the privacy addresses are varying, it is impossible to bind the MAC
address
and the privacy address.

(2)Disable the privacy addresses on each host.Why?Because the privacy
addresses
is preferred as the source of the outbound IPv6 traffic.Now it is difficult
to disable the privacy
addresses on all the hosts in the site,because:

(2.1)The network administrator has to notify every one to disable the
privacy
adrresses.In the enterprise with thousands of employees, it is very
difficult to
ensure that every one will see the notice.

(2.2)Many people are not familier with the host operation system, they don't
know
how to disable the privacy addresses.

So I advise to add the DisablePrivacy flag to the prefix-information
option.It is
helpful in the above scenario.

Thank you!

Yu Hua bing

---

From: Karl Auer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:40:45 +1100

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 19:07 +0800, huabing yu wrote:
> addresses is preferred as the source of the outbound IPv6 traffic.

My reading of RFC3484 is that privacy addresses are NOT preferred, but
that it should be possible on a host to change that preference. See
"Rule 7" in Section 5 (on page 11):

   "Rule 7:  Prefer public addresses.
    If SA is a public address and SB is a temporary address, then
    prefer SA. Similarly, if SB is a public address and SA is a
    temporary address, then prefer SB.
    [...]
    Implementations MUST provide a mechanism allowing an
    application to reverse the sense of this preference and prefer
    temporary addresses over public addresses[...]"

Your idea may still be good, just possibly not for that reason.

Regards, K.

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([email-masked])                   +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer/                   +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687
Old fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156