Subject: Node Requirements: Revised text for DHCP on routers

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 13:51:11 -0400

Going through this thread, here is some proposed text. I've concluded
that whether to require DHC and/or relay agents is much more nuances
than a simple SHOULD/MAY/MUST.

How about the following proposed wording:

   12.3.  Stateful Address Autoconfiguration (DHCPv6) - RFC 3315

   A single DHCP server ([RFC3315] or[RFC4862]) can provide
   configuration information to devices directly attached to a shared
   link, as well as to devices located elsewhere within a site.
   Communication between a client and a DHCP server located on different
   links requires the use of DHCP relay agents on routers.

   In simple deployments, consisting of a single router and either a
   single LAN, or multiple LANs attached to the single router, together
   with a WAN connection, a DHCP server embedded within the router has
   been a common deployment scenario (e.g., [RFC6204]).  However, there
   is no need for relay agents in such scenarios.

   In more complex deployment scenarios, such as within enterprise or
   service provider networks, the use of DHCP requires some level of
   configuration, in order to configure relay agents, DHCP servers, etc.
   In such environments, the DHCP server might even be run on a
   traditional server, rather than as part of a router.

   Because of the wide range of deployment scenarios, support for DHCP
   server on routers is optional.  However, routers targetted for
   deployment within more complex scenarios (as described above) SHOULD
   support relay agent functionality.  Note that "Basic Requirements for
   IPv6 Customer Edge Routers" [RFC6204] requires implementation of a
   DHCPv6 function in IPv6 CE routers.

Thomas

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:15:08 -0400

Thomas - three small editorial suggestions:

s/targetted/targeted/

In the last sentence, s/DHCPv6/DHCPv6 server/

For consistency, use either DHCPv6 or DHCP throughout.

- Ralph

On May 27, 2011, at 1:51 PM 5/27/11, Thomas Narten wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:16:24 -0400

BTW - I should have explicitly written explicitly that I think the text is fine aside from the edits I suggested.

- Ralph

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:35:52 -0700

Thomas,

Text looks fine to me (and Ralph's edits).  I like that it makes clear this is in an environment where DHCPv6 is being deployed.

Bob

---

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 12:36:43 -0700

I think this is much better, and I would not object to the text as is 
(modulo Ralph's suggestions). I would like to make a couple of 
suggestions of my own for the middle two paragraphs that you should feel 
free to ignore. :)

>     links requires the use of DHCP relay agents on routers.

In simple deployments with a single router there is no need for a relay 
agent. A DHCP server embedded within the router is a common deployment 
scenario (e.g., [RFC6204]).

In more complex deployment scenarios, such as within enterprise or 
service provider networks, use of DHCP may be more involved. For example 
configuration of relay agents, multiple DHCP servers, etc. In such 
environments the DHCP server might be run on a separate system, rather 
than as part of a router.

-- 

	Nothin' ever doesn't change, but nothin' changes much.
			-- OK Go

	Breadth of IT experience, and depth of knowledge in the DNS.
	Yours for the right price.  :)  http://SupersetSolutions.com/