Subject: USGv6 Version 2.0 Call For Community Input

From: Stephen Nightingale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 14:15:24 -0400

Original announcement at: http://www.antd.nist.gov/usgv6/index.html
Together with the Comments spreadsheet, text of USGv6 version 1.0, and 
the testing documents.
======================

USGv6 Version 2.0 Call For Community Input

In response to OMB directives the National Institute of Standards and 
Technology (NIST) developed the initial versions of the USGv6 Profile 
and Testing Program. After multiple draft, public comment and revision 
cycles, version 1 of the USGv6 Profile was published in July 2008. The 
USGv6 Testing Program was developed in a similar fashion and became 
operational in November 2009.

While the initial version of the profile and testing program defined the 
processes for evolving to future technical requirements and tests, to 
date the USGv6 program has chosen to favor stability of the 
specifications over yearly 'maintenance' updates. This approach allowed 
vendor products and the test program to mature to the point that we have 
multiple accredited test labs, a more complete set of standard test 
specifications and numerous products with USGv6 capabilities that have 
been tested for conformance and interoperability. This approach also 
facilitated the development of other initiatives and policies (e.g., 
Federal Acquisition Regulations and new OMB USG IPv6 Adoption 
Directives) that leverage the USGv6 program.

Having gained 2+ years of practical experience in the use of the USGv6 
program, and given the development of some new IETF specifications of 
particular significance to the USGv6 program, we feel it is time to 
develop version 2 of the USGv6 Profile. From the perspective of NIST 
there are several key issues that we would like to address in the next 
version of the profile, including:

     Generalize the scope and applicability of the profile.

         There is nothing inherently 'Governmental' about the profile or 
testing system, and we are aware of other user communities who have 
adopted aspects of the USGv6 program either by reference or duplication. 
We welcome broader use and adoption of the profile by groups outside the 
USG and solicit input from such organizations as to how we can structure 
version 2 of the profile to better suit their needs and/or actually 
produce a single joint profile.

     Improve the utility of the profile as a tool for specifying 
procurement requirements.

         The profile attempts to serve two audiences, purchasers and 
suppliers of IPv6 capabilities. Our experience to date is that the level 
of detail of version 1 of the profile might be a barrier to use by 
purchasers. We seek input from purchasers/users as to how to make the 
profile easier to use as a requirements check-list.

     Revise the concept / terms of 'device type' to make it clear that 
the profile addresses the definition of sets of capabilities, from which 
many product configurations can be instantiated and specified.

     Revise the profile testing sections to reflect the subsequent 
development of the Testing Program and its guidance documents.

     Restructure the Network Protection Device section to better 
accommodate the typical composition of products in this space.

     Review all IETF specifications cited in the profile to evaluate 
errata and revised specifications that might impact USGv6 requirements.

Examples might include:
         Adopting the new IKEv2bis specification RFC 5996.
         Adopting the new OSPFbis specification RFC 5340.
         Revisiting the status of the various cryptographic algorithms 
cited in version 1.

     Review the status of NIST recommendations, in particular those 
capabilities marked SHOULD+ (S+) in version 1 of the profile, to 
evaluate which, if any, should advance to MUST (M).

     Review the state of IETF specification and the industry to see if 
any new capabilities/specifications should be added to the profile that 
were not in version 1.

The issues noted above capture some of our broad observations from 2 
years of experience in the development and operation of the USGv6 
program. We assume that the broader community also has similar input and 
observations that should be considered before developing the first draft 
of version 2. Thus NIST plans to pursue the development of version 2 of 
the USGv6 profile as follows:

     Solicit community input and comment prior to the development of the 
1st draft of USGV6-v2.
         Use the current profile and testing system as the basis / 
reference for your comments.
         Please submit comments using the provided spread sheet.
         Completed comment sheets should be emailed to 
[email-masked] by COB June 10, 2011.

     NIST will review all received input and formulate a draft version 2 
of the profile that will be distributed for public comment in September 
2011.

     NIST will review and address all comments received and publish the 
revised USGv6-V2 Profile before the end of 2011.

Note that if a second public comment period is warranted, we would 
conduct it such that it would not extend the target date above. If you 
have any questions or comments about this process, please send them to: 
[email-masked].

We look forward to your input and participation.