Subject: IPng Mailinglist Archives (1994-2004) + Nice SIPP-list quote: nearly 19 years of IPv6

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 19:17:18 +0200

Hi,

I was cleaning boxes and found a 141MB set of mbox files which are the
[email-masked] (and ip-ng@ before that) archives:

I could not seem to find them anywhere else, thus I've made them public
here:

http://www.sixxs.net/archive/docs/ipng-archives/

Google will get hold of them soon I guess so we don't loose these
threads into the dustbin ;) These archives cover 1994-2004.

Of course there is a little bit of extra history to be taken from:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/concluded-wg-ietf-mail-archive/sipp/
which dates back to December 1992 and contains the following two
historical quotes (omitting some headers for brevity):

8<---------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 92 13:46:35 PST
From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Subject: SIP now IPv6

Folks,

  SIP is now officially IP Version number 6.

Happy Holidays,

Bob

------- Start of forwarded message -------

From: [email-masked] (Jon Postel)
Subject: IP Version Number for SIP = 6
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1992 12:34:11 -0800

Bob:

Sorry it took so long for us to get to this, and thanks for the reminders.

Ok.  We've assigned IP Version number 6 to SIP.

- --jon & Joyce.
--------------------------------------------------------------->8

Thus next year IPv6 will be 20 years old already! :)

Greets,
 Jeroen

(If anybody finds more archives, don't hesitate to pass them on, so they
can be restored to online status!)

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:17:39 +1300

For IPng Directorate material (pre-August 1994) there's Scott Bradner's archive:
 http://www.sobco.com/ipng/
but yours is slightly more cool as it can be reached via IPv6 ;-)

Does anybody have the material formerly at
 http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html ?

Thanks
   Brian Carpenter

On 2011-09-26 06:17, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:17:07 -0400

>  http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html ?

The mailing list archives are available via the IETF FTP server
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipngwg

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:07:30 -0400

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipngwg

Right. But these are missing a few months worth of stuff that Jeroen
has on his site (specifically Jeroen has a year's worth of stuff prior
to 1995-02, that the IETF site doesn't list). Unless it is archived
elswhere, which may be the case. The IETF archives are not fully
organized I think, due to various transitions that took place where
the archiving got improved along the way. It may be that not all of
the really old stuff is kept in the same place.

Thomas

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:35:28 +0200

> the really old stuff is kept in the same place.

Is there a way for this WG to ask the IETF secretariat to create a
comprehensive archive in a single location?

As that would be a great thing for future generations to come.

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:39:30 -0700

> http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html ?

I think I may have it.  So far I have found a tar file dated 3 July 2001.  I might have something later, but haven't found it so far.

Bob

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:45:05 -0700

Brian,

I found what I think was the latest content dated around 2003.  I think that about when stopped being updated.

Bob