Subject: draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-energy-aware-nd-01.txt Published

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:07:31 -0500

Here is the revised version of the energy-aware-nd draft. The draft incorporates the comments from ipv6 working group at IETF81.

Comments are welcome.
-Samita
-----------------------------------

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-energy-aware-nd-01.txt 

Abstract:
   IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (RFC 4861) protocol has been designed for
   neighbor&#39;s address resolution, unreachability detection, address
   autoconfiguration, router advertisement and solicitation.  With the
   progress of Internet adoption on various industries including home,
   wireless and machine-to-machine communications, there is a desire for
   optimizing legacy IPv6 Neighbor Discovery protocol for energy-
   efficient networks and nodes.  Research indicates that often
   networked- nodes require more energy than stand-alone nodes because a
   node&#39;s energy usage depends on network messages it receives and
   responds.  While reducing energy consumption is essential for battery
   operated nodes in some machines, saving energy actually a cost factor
   in business in general as the explosion of more device usage is
   leading to usage of more servers and network infrastructure in all
   sectors of the society and business.  This document describes a
   method of optimizations by reducing periodic multicast messages,
   frequent Neighbor Solicitation messages and discusses
   interoperability with legacy IPv6 nodes.  This document also
   addresses the ND denial of service issues by introducing node
   Registration procedure.