Subject: RFC 6436 on Rationale for Update to the IPv6 Flow Label Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:14:20 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6436

        Title:      Rationale for Update to the 
                    IPv6 Flow Label Specification 
        Author:     S. Amante, B. Carpenter,
                    S. Jiang
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 28062
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-flow-update-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6436.txt

Various published proposals for use of the IPv6 flow label are
incompatible with its original specification in RFC 3697.
Furthermore, very little practical use is made of the flow label,
partly due to some uncertainties about the correct interpretation of
the specification.  This document discusses and motivates changes to
the specification in order to clarify it and to introduce some
additional flexibility.  This document is not an Internet Standards 
Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC