Subject: Character set for Line ID

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:39:06 -0500

Hi all,
  Glen Turner and Ran Atkinson raised an issue about the Line ID being
opaque in draft-ietf-6man-lineid-02. When I asked the wg during the
Taipei meeting, the sense of the room was to specify the field as opaque
with an exact match policy. I would like to verify this on the mailing
list. If you have an issue with going forward with this, please propose
new text that you think would be appropriate. The only requirement for
this field is that it should be able to support text strings (e.g. a
circuit descriptor) and numbers (e.g. 32 bit ids).

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 20:33:23 -0500

Well, if you want the line ID field to hold a string, to do the right
thing, one probably needs to:

1) make the field be a UTF-8 string

2) have the string contain normalized unicode, so that the "string"
entered on one device correctly matches the "string" entered on the
server (which won't always happen if unnormalized unicode strings are
allowed).

I.e., the kind of stuff that the precis WG does. :)

Thomas