Subject: A small survey of support of IPv6 atomic fragments

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:50:56 -0300

Folks,

Since there has been a bit of guesswork regarding what systems support
(or do not support) IPv6 atomic fragments, I've played a bit with a few
operating systems, and here are the results regarding the support of
accepting incoming atomic fragments. The column entitled "Improved
Processing" indicates whether the corresponding operating system already
implements the improved processing of atomic fragments described in
draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments.

       OS          | Atomic fragments |     Improved Processing
-------------------+------------------+------------------------------
FreeBSD 8.2        |       No         |             No
FreeBSD 9.0        |       Yes        |             No
Linux 3.0.0-15     |       Yes        |            Yes
NetBSD 5.1         |       No         |             No
OpenBSD-current    |       Yes        |            Yes
Solaris            |       Yes        |            Yes
Win 7 Home Premium |       Yes        |             No
---------------------------------------------------------------------

>From this table, it should be clear that most current operating systems
support them.

If deemed as useful/appropriate, I could include this survey in an
appendix of the next revision of draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments.

Thanks,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 02:22:45 -0300

>        OS          | Atomic fragments |     Improved Processing

Minor errata: FreeBSD 8.2 does support atomic fragments (but not
draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments). It was *FreeBSD 8.0* the system
discarding the atomic fragments.

Therefore, the corrected table is:

FreeBSD 8.0        |        No        |             No
FreeBSD 8.2        |       Yes        |             No
Solaris 11         |       Yes        |            Yes

Thanks,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1