Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:55:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
	Author(s)       : Marshall Eubanks
                          P.F. Chimento
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-03-12

   This document provides an update of RFC 2460[RFC2460] in order to
   improve the performance of IPv6 in an increasingly important use
   case, the use of tunneling to carry new transport protocols.  The
   performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the IPv6 UDP checksum
   requirement for suitable tunneling protocol where header information
   is protected on the "inner" packet being carried.  This relaxation
   removes the overhead associated with the computation of UDP checksums
   on tunneled IPv6 packets and thereby improves the efficiency of the
   traversal of firewalls and other network middleware by such new
   protocols.  We describe how the IPv6 UDP checksum requirement can be
   relaxed in the situation where the encapsulated packet itself
   contains a checksum, the limitations and risks of this approach, and
   provides restrictions on the use of this relaxation to mitigate these
   risks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-02.txt