Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 04:33:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPv6 UDP Checksum Considerations
	Author(s)       : Godred Fairhurst
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-06.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2012-06-20

Abstract:
   This document examines the role of the UDP transport checksum when
   used with IPv6, as defined in RFC2460. It presents a summary of the
   trade-offs for evaluating the safety of updating RFC 2460 to permit
   an IPv6 UDP endpoint to use a zero value in the checksum field as an
   indication that no checksum is present.  This method is compared with
   some other possibilities.  The document also describes the issues and
   design principles that need to be considered when UDP is used with
   IPv6 to support tunnel encapsulations.  It concludes that UDP with a
   zero checksum in IPv6 can safely be used for this purpose, provided
   that this usage is governed by a set of constraints.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpzero

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-06

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/