Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis-05.txt> (Default Address Selection for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 06:44:56 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Default Address Selection for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)'
  <draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes two algorithms, one for source address
   selection and one for destination address selection.  The algorithms
   specify default behavior for all Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
   implementations.  They do not override choices made by applications
   or upper-layer protocols, nor do they preclude the development of
   more advanced mechanisms for address selection.  The two algorithms
   share a common context, including an optional mechanism for allowing
   administrators to provide policy that can override the default
   behavior.  In dual stack implementations, the destination address
   selection algorithm can consider both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses -
   depending on the available source addresses, the algorithm might
   prefer IPv6 addresses over IPv4 addresses, or vice-versa.

   Default address selection as defined in this specification applies to
   all IPv6 nodes, including both hosts and routers.  This document
   obsoletes RFC 3484.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.