Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-lineid-05.txt> (The Line Identification Destination Option) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 07:18:55 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'The Line Identification Destination Option'
  <draft-ietf-6man-lineid-05.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In Ethernet based aggregation networks, several subscriber premises
   may be logically connected to the same interface of an edge router.
   This document proposes a method for the edge router to identify the
   subscriber premises using the contents of the received Router
   Solicitation messages.  The applicability is limited to broadband
   network deployment scenarios where multiple user ports are mapped to
   the same virtual interface on the Edge Router.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-lineid/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-lineid/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 14:04:55 +0200

Dear Suresh, all,

Even if the document includes several warnings about the unreliability of an RS-based mechanism, I suggest to add a pointer to the following document:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dec-6man-rs-access-harmful-00. 

The document can be cited as an informative reference.

Thanks. 

Cheers,
Med

>-----Message d'origine-----
>De : [email-masked] 
>[mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de The IESG
>Envoyé : lundi 4 juin 2012 16:19
>À : IETF-Announce
>Cc : [email-masked]
>Objet : Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-lineid-05.txt> (The Line 
>Identification Destination Option) to Experimental RFC
>
>

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 16:14:12 -0400

Hi Med,

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dec-6man-rs-access-harmful-00. 

Is there something in particular that you think is missing from the
lineid draft? The current warning text in lineid (and the
reclassification to experimental) was arrived at after consultations
with the the 6man chairs and the author of draft-dec.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 09:17:31 +0200

Dear Suresh,

Having the warnings in the draft is good but having a pointer to a document including a fair and detailed risk analysis is also valuable and worth to be acknowledged.

Having that pointer is an "invitation" to people who will deploy this mechanism (I know some of them who are planning to) to assess the validity of the claimed threats (and also to consider the alternatives listed in Section 3 of draft-dec-*). This is even encouraged given the intended track: "experimental". 

Thanks.

Cheers,
Med 

>De : Suresh Krishnan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Envoyé : vendredi 8 juin 2012 22:14
>À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed OLNC/NAD/TIP
>Cc : [email-masked]; [email-masked]; DUREL Sophie OLNC/NAD/TIP
>Objet : Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-lineid-05.txt> (The 
>Line Identification Destination Option) to Experimental RFC
>
>Hi Med,
>
>> Even if the document includes several warnings about the 
>unreliability of an RS-based mechanism, I suggest to add a 
>pointer to the following document: