Subject: Protocol Action: 'Default Address Selection for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:46:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Default Address Selection for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)'
  (draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis/

Technical Summary

   This document describes two algorithms, one for source address
   selection and one for destination address selection.  The algorithms
   specify default behavior for all Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
   implementations.  They do not override choices made by applications
   or upper-layer protocols, nor do they preclude the development of
   more advanced mechanisms for address selection.  The two algorithms
   share a common context, including an optional mechanism for allowing
   administrators to provide policy that can override the default
   behavior.  In dual stack implementations, the destination address
   selection algorithm can consider both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses -
   depending on the available source addresses, the algorithm might
   prefer IPv6 addresses over IPv4 addresses, or vice-versa.

   Default address selection as defined in this specification applies to
   all IPv6 nodes, including both hosts and routers.  This document
   obsoletes RFC 3484.

Working Group Summary

  The working group has been working on this replacement to RFC3484
  for several years.  There has been a very active discussion and there is
  a strong consensus to move it forward.

Document Quality

  This document has been reviewed by many people and the chairs
  believe there is agreement in the w.g. to move it forward.

Personnel

  Bob Hinden is the Document Shepherd.
  Brian Haberman is the Responsible Area Director.