Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-06.txt> (IPv6 UDP Checksum Considerations) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:57:22 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'IPv6 UDP Checksum Considerations'
  <draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-06.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document examines the role of the UDP transport checksum when
   used with IPv6, as defined in RFC2460. It presents a summary of the
   trade-offs for evaluating the safety of updating RFC 2460 to permit
   an IPv6 UDP endpoint to use a zero value in the checksum field as an
   indication that no checksum is present.  This method is compared with
   some other possibilities.  The document also describes the issues and
   design principles that need to be considered when UDP is used with
   IPv6 to support tunnel encapsulations.  It concludes that UDP with a
   zero checksum in IPv6 can safely be used for this purpose, provided
   that this usage is governed by a set of constraints.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpzero/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpzero/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.