Subject: RFC 6724 on Default Address Selection for Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:15:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6724

        Title:      Default Address Selection for Internet 
                    Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) 
        Author:     D. Thaler, Ed.,
                    R. Draves,
                    A. Matsumoto,
                    T. Chown
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 74407
        Obsoletes:  RFC3484

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484bis-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6724.txt

This document describes two algorithms, one for source address
selection and one for destination address selection.  The algorithms
specify default behavior for all Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
implementations.  They do not override choices made by applications
or upper-layer protocols, nor do they preclude the development of
more advanced mechanisms for address selection.  The two algorithms
share a common context, including an optional mechanism for allowing
administrators to provide policy that can override the default
behavior.  In dual-stack implementations, the destination address
selection algorithm can consider both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses --
depending on the available source addresses, the algorithm might
prefer IPv6 addresses over IPv4 addresses, or vice versa.

Default address selection as defined in this specification applies to
all IPv6 nodes, including both hosts and routers.  This document
obsoletes RFC 3484.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC