Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:16:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
	Author(s)       : Marshall Eubanks
                          P.F. Chimento
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-05.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-10-22

Abstract:
   This document provides an update of the Internet Protocol version 6
   (IPv6) specification (RFC2460) to improve the performance of IPv6 in
   the use case when a tunnel protocol uses UDP with IPv6 to tunnel
   packets.  The performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the
   IPv6 UDP checksum requirement for suitable tunneling protocol where
   header information is protected on the "inner" packet being carried.
   This relaxation removes the overhead associated with the computation
   of UDP checksums on IPv6 packets used to carry tunnel protocols and
   thereby improves the efficiency of the traversal of firewalls and
   other network middleboxes by such protocols.  We describe how the
   IPv6 UDP checksum requirement can be relaxed in the situation where
   the encapsulated packet itself contains a checksum, the limitations
   and risks of this approach, and define restrictions on the use of
   this relaxation to mitigate these risks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-05

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 01:23:40 +0200

WG,

The submitted version is not yet addressing all the issues raised during
IESG review. This is testing the proposed direction without overworking
the details. Thus one thing this document definitely needs to be
improved at is the following:

- Security consideration comments raised
- The analysis of the impact on the inner traffic with UDP tunnels.
- Clear how the requirements are or can be meet with the general class
of UDP tunnel using protocols carrying IP or transport protocol.

Cheers

Magnus

On 2012-10-23 01:16, [email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------