Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:47:21 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPv6 and UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
	Author(s)       : Marshall Eubanks
                          AmericaFree.TV LLC
                          P.F. Chimento
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-12-11

Abstract:
   This document provides an update of the Internet Protocol version 6
   (IPv6) specification (RFC2460) to improve the performance in the use
   case when a tunnel protocol uses UDP with IPv6 to tunnel packets.
   The performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the IPv6 UDP
   checksum requirement for suitable tunneling protocol where header
   information is protected on the "inner" packet being carried.  This
   relaxation removes the overhead associated with the computation of
   UDP checksums on IPv6 packets used to carry tunnel protocols.  The
   specification describes how the IPv6 UDP checksum requirement can be
   relaxed for the situation where the encapsulated packet itself
   contains a checksum.  The limitations and risks of this approach are
   described, and restrictions specified on the use of the method.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:57:51 +0100

WG,

Sorry for not meeting my promise to ensure this was available before the
end of November. The editing and reviewing to get the two documents
consistent took a bit longer than expected.

These updates represent some major changes due to the restructuring into
an applicability statement of draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-08. This makes the
Diff very unsuitable for a review. So I do hope that a number of the WG
members can review both the documents. We need confirmation that we
haven't screwed up something or changed the document beyond what there
be consensus for.

This document has massive changes in the discussion and in how the
RFC2460 specification update is done. So please review.

Cheers

Magnus

On 2012-12-11 09:47, [email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------