Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06.txt> (IPv6 and UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:15:55 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'IPv6 and UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets'
  <draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-12-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides an update of the Internet Protocol version 6
   (IPv6) specification (RFC2460) to improve the performance in the use
   case when a tunnel protocol uses UDP with IPv6 to tunnel packets.
   The performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the IPv6 UDP
   checksum requirement for suitable tunneling protocol where header
   information is protected on the "inner" packet being carried.  This
   relaxation removes the overhead associated with the computation of
   UDP checksums on IPv6 packets used to carry tunnel protocols.  The
   specification describes how the IPv6 UDP checksum requirement can be
   relaxed for the situation where the encapsulated packet itself
   contains a checksum.  The limitations and risks of this approach are
   described, and restrictions specified on the use of the method.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.