Subject: 6MAN WG Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06.txt>

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:55:21 -0800

All,

This message starts a two week 6MAN Working Group on advancing:

	Title           : IPv6 and UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
	Author(s)       : Marshall Eubanks
                          P.F. Chimento
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-12-11

        https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums/

as Proposed Standard.  This last call is being done given the number of changes and the time since the earlier last calls.  The changes were discussed at the Atlanta IETF 6man session.  The authors believe these changes will resolve the open IESG Discusses.  Our AD will start a concurrent IETF last call as well.

Substantive comments and statements of support for advancing this document should be directed to the mailing list.  Editorial suggestions can be sent to the authors.  This last call will end on 26 December 2012.

Regards,

Bob Hinden & Ole Trøan

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:02:50 -0500

This (and the companion document draft-ietf-6man-udpzero) seem ready for 
publication to me.

I do have a minor questions.  It is sufficiently minor that if necessary 
it may be ignored so publication can proceed.

I section 5, bullet 3 talks about "tunnel protocol will not 
significantly increase the rate of corruption of the inner packet", and 
then talks about needing to use additional integrity verification if 
there is a risk of such increased corruption.  My question is, what kind 
of encapsulating protocol would or could, by its nature, create such a 
risk?  It is not at all clear to me what a protocol designer should be 
watching for.

Yours,
Joel

On 12/11/2012 11:55 AM, Bob Hinden wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:44:05 +0100

Thanks for the Review,

> risk?  It is not at all clear to me what a protocol designer should be

The one think we have determined could cause increased corruption is
tunnels that fragment. That is discussed in the document in Section
3.1.5 but not explicitly linked to this bullet.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------