Subject: IETF 86: correction to presentation on U/G bits

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:28:53 -0400

Hi,

The presentation on U/G bits that is archived online (PDF)
at the IETF web site has the text below on Slide 4:

       ILNP does have the constraint that its Node Identifiers 
       must be unique within a given site, but as we have just shown, 
       the state of the u bit does not in any way guarantee this.

That statement quoted just above is NOT correct.  

The correct statement is:

       ILNP has the constraint that a given Node Identifier 
       MUST be unique within the context of a given Locator 
       (i.e. within a single given IPv6 subnetwork).  This is 
       guaranteed by existing IPv6 mechanisms (e.g. IPv6 ND).

Yours,

Ran

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:48:18 +0000

Hi Ran,

On 26/03/2013 16:28, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>        (i.e. within a single given IPv6 subnetwork).  

OK - thanks for that.

>        This is 

As far as I can see, ND+DAD guarantees that non-uniqueness will
be detected, but does not guarantee that it will not occur.
In any case, we certainly agree that a subnet with ambiguous
identifiers won't work, which is the point.

   Brian