Subject: AERO and SEAL

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:01:22 +0000

Hi,

Just in time for the holidays, here are two new drafts that I believe will
be key to moving IPv6 forward in enterprise networks as well as many other
use case scenarios:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-aerolink-00
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-seal-66

These documents obsolete RFCs 6706 and 5320 (respectively), and finally
address the many misfeatures and shortcomings from previous draft versions.
An implementation is also available here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-seal-66

I believe these documents are ready to adopt as either wg items or AD
sponsored standards track. Please review and comment.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

PS See below for ID announcements, and happy holidays.

--- ---

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO) Links
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-aerolink-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2013-12-19

Abstract:
   This document specifies the operation of IPv6 over tunnel virtual
   Non-Broadcast, Multiple Access (NBMA) links using Asymmetric Extended
   Route Optimization (AERO).  Nodes attached to AERO links can exchange
   packets via trusted intermediate routers on the link that provide
   forwarding services to reach off-link destinations and/or redirection
   services to inform the node of an on-link neighbor that is closer to
   the final destination.  Operation of the IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND)
   over AERO links is based on an IPv6 link local address format known
   as the AERO address.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-aerolink

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-aerolink-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

--- ---

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Subnetwork Encapsulation and Adaptation Layer (SEAL)
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-intarea-seal-66.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2013-12-19

Abstract:
   This document specifies a Subnetwork Encapsulation and Adaptation
   Layer (SEAL).  SEAL operates over virtual topologies configured over
   connected IP network routing regions bounded by encapsulating border
   nodes.  These virtual topologies are manifested by tunnels that may
   span multiple IP and/or sub-IP layer forwarding hops, where they may
   incur packet duplication, packet reordering, source address spoofing
   and traversal of links with diverse Maximum Transmission Units
   (MTUs).  SEAL addresses these issues through the encapsulation and
   messaging mechanisms specified in this document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-intarea-seal

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-seal-66

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-intarea-seal-66

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:29:54 +0000

> An implementation is also available here:

Here is the correct link:

http://linkupnetworks.com/seal/sealv2-1.0.tgz

Thanks - Fred

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:08:03 +0000

One other thing. For SEAL, it occurred to me that NS/NA messaging may
not work very well if middleboxes and tunnel endpoints check the
TTL/Hop-Limit. So, in the next version I will replace NS/NA with
ICMPv6 Echo Request/Reply, which I guess should work over most paths.

Thanks - Fred