Subject: Update about draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01.txt

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 15:10:27 +0100

Hello 6MAN participants,

This is an update you about draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01.txt: what 
happened with it since November last year?

- slight textual modifications about one author affiliation.
- announced on v6ops and on 6lo.  Received some private comments about
   its usefulness and where to discuss it.

Please comment on this draft.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01

"Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 802.11p Networks"
draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01.txt

   "In order to transmit IPv6 packets on IEEE 802.11p networks there is a
    need to define a few parameters such as the recommended Maximum
    Transmission Unit size, the header format preceding the IPv6 base
    header, the Type value within it, and others.  This document
    describes these parameters for IPv6 and IEEE 802.11p networks; it
    portrays the layering of IPv6 on 802.11p similarly to other known
    802.11 and Ethernet layers, by using an existing Ethernet Adaptation
    Layer.

    In addition, the document attempts to list what is different in
    802.11p compared to more 'traditional' 802.11a/b/g/n layers, layers
    over which IPv6 protocols run ok.  Most notably, the operation
    outside the context of a BSS (OCB) has impact on IPv6 handover
    behaviour and on IPv6 security.

    An example of an IPv6 packet captured while transmitted over an IEEE
    802.11p link is given."

Alex

---
Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection avast! Antivirus est active.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:56:18 +0100

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply.

Le 27/01/2014 08:23, Ray Hunter a écrit :
> I have read this draft. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
>
> Would 6LoWPan RFC6775 not be more appropriate for dealing with the
> issues identified in Section 5.6, when 802.11p is operating in OCB
> mode?

There is a similarity and a discrepancy when comparing the low-power to
the high mobility constraints of 6lowpans and vehicular networks: both
would benefit if fewer messages were sent, and still vehicle networks 
are not so battery-limited as the sensors.

> I realise that in a vehicular scenario, maintaining the mesh under
> network may prove challenging.

I think that is right.  Maintaining a mesh under is challenging in the 
vehicular scenarios.

I think RFC6775 has a form of distributing routes (router-to-router 
interactions) but I doubt it describes loop avoidance, which should be 
part of mesh under, right?

The section 5.6 needs more explanation.  Would you be interested?

Also, this would be a typical IPv6-over-foo document, and such as maybe 
we would not need to describe too much routing/meshing detail.

Alex
>
> Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>> Hello 6MAN participants,
>>
>> This is an update you about draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01.txt:
>>  what happened with it since November last year?
>>
>> - slight textual modifications about one author affiliation. -
>> announced on v6ops and on 6lo.  Received some private comments
>> about its usefulness and where to discuss it.
>>
>> "In order to transmit IPv6 packets on IEEE 802.11p networks there
>> is a need to define a few parameters such as the recommended
>> Maximum Transmission Unit size, the header format preceding the
>> IPv6 base header, the Type value within it, and others.  This
>> document describes these parameters for IPv6 and IEEE 802.11p
>> networks; it portrays the layering of IPv6 on 802.11p similarly to
>> other known 802.11 and Ethernet layers, by using an existing
>> Ethernet Adaptation Layer.
>>
>> 802.11p compared to more 'traditional' 802.11a/b/g/n layers,
>> layers over which IPv6 protocols run ok.  Most notably, the
>> operation outside the context of a BSS (OCB) has impact on IPv6
>> handover behaviour and on IPv6 security.
>>
>> An example of an IPv6 packet captured while transmitted over an
>> IEEE 802.11p link is given."
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> --- Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel
>> malveillant parce que la protection avast! Antivirus est active.
>> http://www.avast.com
>>
>>
>