Subject: Summarizing discussion on draft-ietf-6man-resilient-rs

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 01:27:49 -0500

Hi all,
   I would like to summarize the recent discussion on the resilient rs 
draft and ask for wg opinion on how to go forward with it.

The discussion clearly showed that the draft does not handle the 
scenario laid out in Section 1 bullet b) on networks that have turned 
off periodic RA sending. [Note that scenario c) is still covered since 
the non-multicast capable links need to specify some form of periodic RS 
retransmission to elicit the RA].

There are two ways to resolve this inconsistency. One is to remove 1b) 
as a supported scenario. The other is to add support for periodic RS 
retransmission. The intention of the text in 1b) was to support links 
that do not send periodic (unsolicited) multicast RAs. As Erik Kline 
mentioned, they can still send periodic unicast RAs (i.e. Periodic 
non-initial RSs are not required). Is this a scenario we would like to 
support? It would be great to get the WGs opinion on this and we will 
submit a new revision based on what we hear.

Thanks
Suresh