Subject: A problem with RFC 6465's Uniform Format for Extension Headers

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 22:02:50 -0300

Folks,

Mike Heard noted that the Uniform Format specified in RFC 6465 can't
possibly work.. and after giving some thought about it, it turns out
that implementing it would hamper the deployment of new transport protocols.

We've written a short I-D that discussed the problem, and that proposes
an alternative, such that we achieve the same goal without possibly
messing with our Transport friends. :-)

The I-D is available at:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-universal-extension-header-00.txt>

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gont-6man-ipv6-universal-extension-header-00.txt
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:07:40 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>, "Fernando Gont"
<[email-masked]>, "Shucheng LIU (Will)" <[email-masked]>,
Will (Shucheng) Liu <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-6man-ipv6-universal-extension-header-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gont-6man-ipv6-universal-extension-header
Revision:	00
Title:		IPv6 Universal Extension Header
Document date:	2014-01-31
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		6
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-universal-extension-header-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-universal-extension-header/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-universal-extension-header-00

Abstract:
   This document analyzes a problem in the Uniform Format for IPv6
   Extension Headers specified in RFC 6564, which results in forwarding
   nodes and middle-boxes not being able to process an IPv6 Header Chain
   if it contains an unrecognized IPv6 Extension Header that follows the
   aforementioned Uniform Format.  Additionally, it specifies a new IPv6
   Extension Header - the Universal Extension Header - that overcomes
   the aforementioned problem, and enables the extensibility of IPv6
   without impairing middleboxes that need to process the entire IPv6
   Header Chain.  Finally, this document formally updates RFC 6564

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat