Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 06:21:41 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Alissa Cooper
                          Dave Thaler
                          Will Liu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-01-24

Abstract:
   Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) for IPv6 typically
   results in hosts configuring one or more stable addresses composed of
   a network prefix advertised by a local router, and an Interface
   Identifier that typically embeds a hardware address (e.g., an IEEE
   LAN MAC address).  The security and privacy implications of embedding
   hardware addresses in the Interface Identifier have been known and
   understood for some time now, and some popular IPv6 implementations
   have already deviated from such schemes to mitigate these issues.
   This document recommends [I-D.ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses] as
   the default scheme for the generating stable IPv6 addresses and
   recommends against embedding hardware addresses in IPv6 Interface
   Identifiers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/