Subject: comment on Preliminary RA power observations on wifi

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 16:08:41 +0200

Hello,

At the end of the 6man WG meeting a slide was briefly displayed
"Preliminary RA power observations on wifi" and there are slides
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/slides/slides-93-6man-11.pdf

slide says:
"Recent Nexus devices have RA rate-limiting in wifi firmware
■ Bit-for-bit identical RAs rate-limited to 1 / minute"

Does it mean that the device does not show the RAs which are sent more
often than 1minute?

Is the behaviour user-configurable?  (to allow a user to eliminate the
rate limitation).

slide says:
"RAs every second: multicast: ~6.0mA, unicast ~180mA"

I think this is a good indication.  But is the measurement setup
allowing the evaluation at low granularity - per-packet energy
consumption?  Or per a period of time?  BEcause if the latter, then
there may be other messages than that RA (maybe 802.11bgn messages)
which may generate that energy consumption.

Do you mean receiving an unicast RA draws 180mA?

Alex