Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 16:50:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Alissa Cooper
                          Dave Thaler
                          Will Liu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-05.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2015-07-06

Abstract:
   The IPv6 addressing architecture defines Modified EUI-64 format
   Interface Identifiers, and the existing IPv6 over various link-layers
   specify how such identifiers are derived from the underlying link-
   layer address (e.g., an IEEE LAN MAC address) when employing IPv6
   Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC).  The security and
   privacy implications of embedding link-layer addresses in the
   Interface Identifier have been known and understood for some time
   now, and some popular IPv6 implementations have already deviated from
   such schemes to mitigate these issues.  This document changes the
   recommended default Interface Identifier generation scheme for SLAAC
   to that specified in RFC7217, and recommends against embedding link-
   layer addresses in IPv6 Interface Identifiers.  It formally updates
   RFC2464, RFC2467, RFC2470, RFC2491, RFC2492, RFC2497, RFC2590,
   RFC3146, RFC3572, RFC4291, RFC4338, RFC4391, RFC4944, RFC5072, and
   RFC5121, which require IPv6 Interface Identifiers to be derived from
   the underlying link-layer address.  Additionally, this document
   provides advice about the generation of Interface Identifiers with
   other address configuration mechanisms, such as Dynamic Host
   Configuration Protocol version 6 (DHCPv6) and manual configuration.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/