Subject: rfc6106bis incompatible with RFC7844

From: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:56:07 +0200

Hi,

[Sending comments while the draft is blocked so we can process them before
IETF last call starts. Let me know if I should wait and send this to IETF
last call instead.]

RFC 7844, which was recently published, says:

   When these
   options enable stateless address configuration, hosts using the
   anonymity profile SHOULD use stateless address configuration instead
   of stateful address configuration, because stateless configuration
   requires fewer information disclosures than stateful configuration.

That text is in direct conflict with at least this text in 6106bis:

   The DNS options from Router Advertisements
   and DHCP SHOULD be stored into the DNS Repository and Resolver
   Repository so that information from DHCP appears there first and
   therefore takes precedence.

Given that RFC 7844 documents recent IETF consensus, I think we need to
resolve this incompatibility.

Cheers,
Lorenzo

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:10:13 +0000

Lorenzo:

I don't see a conflict here. If a host uses both methods, dhcp should be preferred for dns options. If it uses only SLAAC then there is no dhcp supplied data.

- Bernie (from iPhone)

> On Jul 19, 2016, at 10:56 AM, Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> [Sending comments while the draft is blocked so we can process them before IETF last call starts. Let me know if I should wait and send this to IETF last call instead.]
> 
> Given that RFC 7844 documents recent IETF consensus, I think we need to resolve this incompatibility.
> 
> Cheers,
> Lorenzo
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:26:21 +0200

Then we should probably note that hosts using the anonymity protocol will
prefer stateless address configuration, and thus may not start DHCP at all
if they receive DNS information from the RA.

Otherwise, a network administrator may configure both DHCPv6 and RDNSS for
DNS information thinking that hosts will prefer DHCPv6, and then find that
the hosts just don't use DHCPv6 at all because they already have DNS
servers.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Bernie Volz (volz) <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Lorenzo:
>
> I don't see a conflict here. If a host uses both methods, dhcp should be
> preferred for dns options. If it uses only SLAAC then there is no dhcp
> supplied data.
>
> - Bernie (from iPhone)
>
> > [Sending comments while the draft is blocked so we can process them
> before IETF last call starts. Let me know if I should wait and send this to
> IETF last call instead.]
> >