Subject: Re: Redirected Header (Forwarded/Originating Packet)

From: Reji Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:25:07 +0530

Hi,

>>Thus, the router knows a Redirect has to be issued.  At this juncture, >>the router has access only to the forwarded packet.  The router copies >>the packet before forwarding and uses the copy in the Redirect.

This doesn't have to mean that routers would have done the layer3
header processing for forwarding .In fact the same is an
implementation specific behaviour i.e. hlim could be adjusted only
when the packet is forwarded and not when redirect is triggered. The
only significance of the text as I see is when to send the redirect
and not on whether its the originating packet or the redirect packet
that needs to be included in the redirect header.

As Hemant pointed out, the packet payload is included in icmpv6 error
messages also and sec 2.4 of RFC 4443 describes the intent and is
inline with V4 redirect where the intent is spelt rather specifically.
Unless I see a specific reasoning for including the packet after doing
the forward processing, I would think it as immaterial and  conclude
as reading too much into the text for that matter.

Regards

Reji