Subject: RFC 8028 on First-Hop Router Selection by Hosts in a Multi-Prefix Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 18:47:38 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8028

        Title:      First-Hop Router Selection by Hosts 
                    in a Multi-Prefix Network 
        Author:     F. Baker, B. Carpenter
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30987
        Updates:    RFC 4861

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8028

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8028

This document describes expected IPv6 host behavior in a scenario
that has more than one prefix, each allocated by an upstream network
that is assumed to implement BCP 38 ingress filtering, when the host
has multiple routers to choose from.  It also applies to other
scenarios such as the usage of stateful firewalls that effectively
act as address-based filters.  Host behavior in choosing a first-hop
router may interact with source address selection in a given
implementation.  However, the selection of the source address for a
packet is done before the first-hop router for that packet is chosen.
Given that the network or host is, or appears to be, multihomed with
multiple provider-allocated addresses, that the host has elected to
use a source address in a given prefix, and that some but not all
neighboring routers are advertising that prefix in their Router
Advertisement Prefix Information Options, this document specifies to
which router a host should present its transmission.  It updates RFC
4861.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC