Subject: PIO-X and ND Prefix Delegation

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:58:04 +0900

Hi,

To the extent that PIO-X states that this prefix is _only_ for you, it 
amounts to Prefix Delegation, right?

There are a few drafts proposing ND Prefix Delegation that I suggest to 
be considered in the PIO-X context.

Alex

---

From: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:11:09 +0900

> amounts to Prefix Delegation, right?
Not sure what you mean by "amounts to". In both cases a client can learn
that a prefix will exclusively be routed to it for a specified amount of
time, but the semantics are different. For example, in the PIO-X case
unmodified clients will be able to use the prefix for autoconfiguration
even if they don't understand the X bit. Also, in DHCPv6 PD the host is
responsible for refreshing the prefix lease, but in PIO-X the network is
responsible for refreshing it.

Cheers,
Lorenzo

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:07:33 +0900

Le 18/11/2016 à 12:11, Lorenzo Colitti a écrit :
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Alexandre Petrescu
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> wrote:
>
> To the extent that PIO-X states that this prefix is _only_ for you,
> it amounts to Prefix Delegation, right?
>
> Not sure what you mean by "amounts to". In both cases a client can
> learn that a prefix will exclusively be routed to it for a specified
> amount of time, but the semantics are different. For example, in the
> PIO-X case unmodified clients will be able to use the prefix for
> autoconfiguration even if they don't understand the X bit.

I dont see the difference: unmodified clients can still use the PIO
prefix in RA for autoconfiguration even though another ND-PD option is
present in the RA.

> Also, in DHCPv6 PD the host is responsible for refreshing the prefix
> lease, but in PIO-X the network is responsible for refreshing it.

I did not mean DHCP-PD, but ND-PD.  There a couple of drafts proposing 
ND-PD.

Alex

> Cheers, Lorenzo