Subject: Request to reclassify RFC4443 and RFC3595 at Internet Standards

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 21:14:09 -0800

Suresh,

As part of the 6MAN working group work to advance the core IPv6 specifications
to Internet Standard, we requests that the IESG initiate the process
to reclassify RFC4443 and RFC3595 (currently at Draft Standard) as
Internet Standards.

The requirements for doing this as defined in RFC6410, section 2.2 are:

(1) There are at least two independent interoperating implementations
    with widespread deployment and successful operational experience.

(2) There are no errata against the specification that would cause a new
    implementation to fail to interoperate with deployed ones.

(3) There are no unused features in the specification that greatly
    increase implementation complexity.

(4) If the technology required to implement the specification requires
    patented or otherwise controlled technology, then the set of
    implementations must demonstrate at least two independent, separate
    and successful uses of the licensing process.

Details on how these RFCs meet these requirement is below.

RFC4443 "Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification”
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4443/)
      (1) Widely implemented:
          https://www.ipv6ready.org/db/index.php/public/?o=4
      (2) 4 errata, none of which would cause new interoperability
          problems.  Updated by: RFC4884, but the consensus is that
          it’s not an update, more like an extension.
      (3) There are no unused features.
      (4) None.

RFC3595 "DNS Extensions to Support IP Version 6”  (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc3596/)
      (1) Widely implemented:
          https://www.ipv6ready.org/db/index.php/public/?o=4
      (2) No errata. No updated by.
      (3) There are no unused features.
      (4) None.

Please let us know if you need any additional information.

Best regards,
Ole & Bob - on behalf of the 6man Working group