Subject: Protocol Action: 'Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 08:44:53 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers'
  (draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/

Technical Summary

   This document changes the recommended default Interface Identifier
   (IID) generation scheme for cases where Stateless Address
   Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) is used to generate a stable IPv6 address.
   It recommends using the mechanism specified in RFC7217 in such cases,
   and recommends against embedding stable link-layer addresses in IPv6
   Interface Identifiers.  It formally updates RFC2464, RFC2467, RFC2470,
   RFC2491, RFC2492, RFC2497, RFC2590, RFC3146, RFC3572, RFC4291,
   RFC4338, RFC4391, RFC5072, and RFC5121.  This document does not change
   any existing recommendations concerning the use of temporary addresses
   as specified in RFC 4941.

Working Group Summary

   There is strong support for this document in the 6MAN working group.
   The area where there was controversy was about what the updates to the
   documents that define how IIDs should be created, e.g., RFC2464) for
   specific link types.  The current draft represents the working group
   thinking and there is a strong consensus.

Document Quality

   The quality of the document is good, it has received a lot of 
   review in the working group on the mailing list and at several 6man
   sessions at IETF meetings.  The number of drafts that have been
   produced (15) is one sign of this.

   There are implementations of the recommendation that nodes should not
   employ IPv6 address generation schemes that embed a stable link-layer
   address in the IID. This includes recent versions of Windows, iOS, and
   Android.

Personnel

  Bob Hinden is the Document Shepherd.
  Suresh Krishnan is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following substitution in Section 2
 
OLD:
   Stable address:
      An address that does not vary over time within the same network
      (as defined in [RFC7721]).

NEW:
   Stable address:
      An address that does not vary over time within the same network
      (consistent with [RFC7721]).