Subject: IPv6 Address Usage Recommendations (revised I-D, Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations-02.txt)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:00:45 -0300

Folks,

We've posted a rev of our I-D "IPv6 Address Usage Recommendations".

It is available at:
<https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations-02.txt>

This one is closely related to draft-gont-6man-non-stable-iids and to
(the recently published) RFC8064.

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations-02.txt
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 15:19:29 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>, Madeleine Garcia Corbo
<[email-masked]>, Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>,
Madelen Corbo <[email-masked]>, Guillermo Gont
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations
Revision:	02
Title:		IPv6 Address Usage Recommendations
Document date:	2017-03-13
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		13
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations-02.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations-02
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations-02

Abstract:
   This document analyzes the security and privacy implications of IPv6
   addresses based on a number of properties such as address scope,
   stability, and usage type.  It analyzes what properties are desirable
   for some popular scenarios, and provides advice regarding the
   configuration and usage of such addresses.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:00:16 -0700

> Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Let me second that request for feedback. Fernando asked me to work with
him on this draft, and I believe that the WG should indeed do some work
in that general area. My first concern is that while we do have well
specified rules for address selection in RFC 6724, these rules only
affect outgoing selection, we do not have any equivalent rule for
"listening address selection". The default practice is to have "server
apps" listen for all addresses available on all interfaces. That can
create quite a few security and privacy issues, which we try to outline
in the draft.

Despite being in rev 02, this is still an early draft. And it would
definitely benefit from some feedback, particularly regarding
implementation experience.

-- Christian Huitema