Subject: skype and ping, Windows, on IPv6-related SSIDs at IETF 100

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 03:11:58 +0100

These are the tests for skype and ping, Windows, on IPv6-related SSIDs 
at IETF 100.

Table says that skype can not connect if on ietf-v6ONLY but can connect 
if on the ietf-nat64, even though no test call can be made on either:

            ietf-v6ONLY, IPv6-only Host|    ietf-nat64, IPv6-only Host
---------------------------+------------------------------
connect         no                  |         yes
test call no                  |          no

Bonus test: ping.
                   ietf-v6ONLY, IPv6-only Host|    ietf-nat64, IPv6-only 
Host
---------------------------+------------------------------
ping 8.8.8.8             no                  |         no
ping google.com     yes                 |         yes

The IPv6-only Host is a Host that connects to a network that does not 
give it an IPv4 address nor an IPv4 default route.  The IPv6-only Host 
still has an IPv4 stack and many IPv4 literals on it.  A "not-IPv4 Host" 
is a Host that removed its IPv4 stack, or has no IPv4 stack at 
manufacture time[*].

Alex
[*] On Windows uncheck the IPv4 box on the network interface 
Properties.  On Windows this does not remove entirely the IPv4 from the 
Host (there is still e.g. IPv4 routing table entries for the loopback) 
but it does has some effect of IPv4 removal, like disappearance of the 
IPv4 link-local address.  On linux it's impossible to remove the IPv4 
stack.  On contiki IIRC there is no IPv4 stack whatsoever (but its IPv6 
is not that IPv6 either). Ideally, a not-IPv4 Host has nothing about 
IPv4 on it: no stack, no rt table entries, no literals in /etc/hosts, 
and probably more.

On Windows, one could try to Uninstall the "IPv4", instead of just 
unchecking IPv4; but I suspect this removal to be risky.  I wont try it 
at IETF on my work computer.