Subject: Reporting on some applications on ietf-v6ONLY

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:53:47 +0100

Hi,

I am not sure whether the group wants these reported here or on tickets 
@ meeting.ietf.org.  It's not their fault if these dont work.  I am not 
sure whether v6ops WG wants to see these either.

While connected on the 'ietf-v6ONLY' at IETF 100:

Windows Update no, Red error "8024402C".

FortiClient VPN no.  It seemingly can't reach the server.   I can do a 
packet dump if needed.

VPN SSL to my employer's web page does not work.

Skype latest, and Skype Enterprise can't connect.

webex yes, arkadin no.

Thunderbird to free.fr and to gmail.com yes.

Firefox to many ietf.org pages seems ok.   Paypal no, youtube yes, 
amazon no, ebay no, impots.gouv.fr no.

Google Earth yes.

KeePass update check no.

BT747 no.

iTunes starts, but cant connect to Store.

Wireshark updates yes.

Picasa yes.

TomTom no.

Fitbit no.

VLC updates no.

The Berkeley's netalyzr is not reachable :-( (it was in the past, on 
other 'v6-only' networks).

Alex
(sent from Windows laptop on 'ietf-v6ONLY' at IETF 100)
(there is no IPv4 address on computer's interface, other than the IPv4 
link-local address)