Subject: Windows - how to connect on the ietf-v6ONLY

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:03:15 +0100

Hi,

During today's 6MAN meeting there was suggestion to use IPv6 ESSIDs.  In 
that room the other more normal ESSIDs seemed more silenced.

For Windows 7 users, in order to connect to "ietf-v6ONLY", one should be 
ready to give up some security worries. (there are other IPv6 related 
ESSIDs like "ietf-nat64" and its visibly "unencrypted" version. They're 
all unsecure.)

How to connect to ESSID "ietf-v6ONLY":

Right button on the five-bar scale bottom right of the screen.
Open Network Center
In the left column click "Manage WiFi Networks"
Search existing "ietf-v6ONLY" or "ietf-v6only" and delete
In the left collumn click "Add"
Click Create a Network Profile manually
In the Network Name field type "ietf-v6ONLY" without quotes, but respect 
capitals (note 'v' but 'ONLY')
In the Security Type unfold menu select "WPA2 - Enterprise"
In the Encryption Type unfold menu select "AES"
In the lower right zone click Next
Click "Modify Connexion Parameters"
Select the Security titled Tab
Click the "Parameters" button (not the "Advanced Parameters")
Up in the window uncheck the "Validate the Server Certificate" <-- give 
up security worries
Down in the window click the Configure button
In the new small window uncheck "Use automatically the Windows 
username/password" <-- give up security worries
Click Ok many times to return many levels
Right button on the five-bar scale bottom right of the screen
In the Network Authentication window type "ietf" and "ietf" <-- give up 
security worries, final.

At this point one is connected to ietf-v6ONLY.

Alex

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 01:26:35 +1300

> Up in the window uncheck the "Validate the Server Certificate" <-- give 

This is not necessary with an up to date WiFi driver. For whatever reason,
you are trying to run with an obsolete driver, judging by your mail
earlier today. I just verified that my Windows 7, at least, has that
option enabled, as it clearly should be.

> In the Network Authentication window type "ietf" and "ietf" <-- give up 

Sure. The login is not kept secret, since that would be pointless with
such a large group of users. There's no news there.
https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF100network#MeetingRoomWireless

Does any of this involve IETF protocols?

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:00:06 +0100

Le 14/11/2017 à 13:26, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :
> such a large group of users.

Yes, I have seen larger groups of users using such.  During latest 
Olympic games the TV of a wifi password at bobsleigh area was broadcast 
to a very wide audience.

> There's no news there.

It's hard to say just like that.  But putting IPv6 on it without some 
friendly security is a non-starter.

Maybe we want an IETF CA to sign our certificates, or something like 
that.  I am saying that just to answer you but I really dont know what's 
better.

Alex