Subject: 6man - reading list for Monday meeting

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:13:56 +0100

6MAN'er,

Here are the drafts on the agenda for Monday.
Please read!
Remember you will not be allowed to sit at the front of the room (and get a table if you don't).

I've also provided a (somewhat subjective) short summary of each draft.

 IPv6 Node Requirements
  Refresh of the node requirements document. Past last call. Last chance to review!

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-rfc6434-bis
IPv6 Segment Routing Header (SRH)
  Source routing combined with out of band programmed segment list.
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header

ICMPv6 errors for discarding packets due to processing limits
  This draft proposes new ICMP codes to be used by middleboxes dropping packets,
  because parsing problems with extension headers (in violation of 8200).
  With the intent that applications receiving these errors will modify their behaviour to accommodate the middlebox.
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-6man-icmp-limits

 IPv6 Router Advertisement IPv4 Unavailable Flag
  Defines a flag in the RA that is set to claim that this router does not support IPv4.
  (Note it does not say anything about IPv4 being enabled on this link or not).
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hinden-ipv4flag

Unified Identifier in IPv6 Segment Routing Networks
  A proposal to support shorted SIDs in SRv6.
  20bit and 32bit instead of IPv6 addresses.
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mirsky-6man-unified-id-sr

Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6
  A new version of RFC4941.
  Makes it clear stable addresses are needed (if you believe that was ever a requirement)
  Replaces the generation algorithm with two possible alternatives.
  Changes the default to be enabled.
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-rfc4941bis

Recommendation on Temporary IPv6 Interface Identifiers
  The draft clarifies that an interface does not need to be configured with a stable address.
  It also adds a few requirements to non-stable addresses to improve privacy properties.
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-non-stable-iids

IPv6 Performance Measurement with Alternate Marking Method
   A single bit set in a packet in a stream is used to synchronize between blocks of packets.
   Can be used to count packets blocks to identify packet loss. Can also be used to measure delay.
   The draft gives a summary of the different implementation options.
   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fioccola-v6ops-ipv6-alt-mark
   Methodology described in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8321

Cheers,
Ole

PS: We also need volunteers for a jabber scribe and minute taker.