Subject: RS/RA-based prefix delegation

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 18:35:51 +0000

Hi, going back to discussions from last month, we have implemented an RS/RA-based
prefix delegation service. The service is based on RS/RA messaging between the client
and the first-hop router, with the first-hop router serving as a relay to the DHCPv6
server on the back end.

A wireshark/tcpdump capture between the client and first-hop router would show
ordinary RS/RA messages with options that include the body of a DHCPv6 message
as discussed in:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-dhcpv6-ndopt/

But, it is not necessary that the RS/RA options include a formal DHCPv6 message, because
the first-hop router can convert whatever is contained in the RS message into DHCPv6
messages for its exchanges with the back end server, and then reconvert the DHCPv6
Reply into the appropriate response for inclusion in the RA. So, we can plug in whatever
RS/RA message options that would eventually be designed to facilitate prefix delegation.

The code is available here:

http://linkupnetworks.net/aero/AERO-OpenVPN-1.1.tgz

Please review the draft and code and send comments to the list.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]