Subject: Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 04:59:50 -0800

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Minor comment/question:
Section 6 discusses Handling of Multiple NAT64 Prefixes, however, it does not
really discussion any consequences of using the "wrong" prefix. Maybe you can
say more about that...?

---

From: Jen Linkova <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 12:11:38 +1100

Hi Mirja,

> really discussion any consequences of using the "wrong" prefix. Maybe you can

Well, the problem here is that impact of using the "wrong" prefix may
vary, depending on many factors
and it does not really specific to a particular mechanism (one
specified in the draft, RFC7050 or PCP) used for providing the prefix
information.

As Benjamin raised a similar concern in the security context  we'll
add a text into the security section:
"If a host is provided with an incorrect NAT64 prefix the IPv6-only
   host might not be able to communicate with IPv4-only destinations.
   Connectivity to destinations reachable over IPv6 would not be
   impacted just by providing a host with an incorrect prefix (however
   if attackers are capable of sending rogue RAs they can perform
   denial-of-service or man-in-the-middle attacks, as described in
   [RFC6104])."

-- 
SY, Jen Linkova aka Furry