Subject: Request for adoption call for OMNI (draft-templin-6man-omni-interface)

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 22:05:11 +0000

6man chairs, this is a request to issue a 6man wg adoption call for: "Transmission of
IPv6 Packets over Overlay Multilink Network (OMNI) Interfaces":

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-omni-interface/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1676/

Please issue the call and/or let me know if other supporting information is needed.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 20:26:08 -0400

I have browsed the document again.
I read it when it was atn-aero sometime ago.

The document seems much larger, and I would wonder if after adopting if we
might decide to split it up into more than one piece.

I also wonder about relationship of OMNI to the work occuring in the RAW WG.
It seems that there is some similarities as I understood that RAW would
being doing things like aggregating and multi-pathing different link
types/technologies/channels in order to gain advantages in reliable delivery.
I feel like OMNI would be a good way to manage those links, but I don't
really know very much about either.

I do not object to adopting this document, and I will attempt to keep up on
the document.  One of the concerns I have had with documents coming from
other authorities into the IETF is that often they are full of normative
references to documents that are hard to obtain or read.  I don't see any
such references, so that should make our job easier.

Despite this being a protocol for aviation, I note the lack of headers
inserted or removed in flight.  I'm sure we can some other aspect on which to
engage in aggressive negotiation.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:39:42 +0000

6man chairs - please respond with status for this request (below).

Thanks - Fred

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ipv6 [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Templin (US), Fred L
> Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 3:05 PM
> To: 6man Chairs <[email-masked]>
> Cc: 6man WG <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Request for adoption call for OMNI (draft-templin-6man-omni-interface)
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:01:59 -0700

Fred,

Request received.   We are discussing it and will be back in touch.

Also, we have another adoption request to process before we get to your.

Bob

> On Jun 22, 2020, at 11:39 AM, Templin (US), Fred L <[email-masked]> wrote:
>