Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-grand-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 19:31:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Gratuitous Neighbor Discovery: Creating Neighbor Cache Entries on First-Hop Routers
        Author          : Jen Linkova
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-grand-03.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2020-09-15

Abstract:
   Neighbor Discovery (RFC4861) is used by IPv6 nodes to determine the
   link-layer addresses of neighboring nodes as well as to discover and
   maintain reachability information.  This document updates RFC4861 to
   allow routers to proactively create a Neighbor Cache entry when a new
   IPv6 address is assigned to a node.  It also updates RFC4861 and
   recommends nodes to send unsolicited Neighbor Advertisements upon
   assigning a new IPv6 address.  The proposed change will minimize the
   delay and packet loss when a node initiate connections to off-link
   destination from a new IPv6 address.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-grand/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-grand-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-6man-grand-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-grand-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:07:25 -0700

This message starts a new two week 6MAN Working Group Last Call on advancing:

        Title           : Gratuitous Neighbor Discovery: Creating Neighbor Cache Entries on First-Hop Routers
        Author          : Jen Linkova
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-grand-03.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2020-09-15
        https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-grand

as a Proposed Standard.  As noted earlier, we are doing a second working group last call because the Area Directors requested that this draft be combined with <draft-ietf-v6ops-nd-cache-init>.  This version of the draft does that.  V6ops is being copied on this last call.

Substantive comments and statements of support for publishing this document should be directed to the [email-masked] mailing list.  Editorial suggestions can be sent to the author.  This last call will end on 2 October 2020.

Thanks,
Bob & Ole

> Begin forwarded message:
> 
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-grand-03.txt
> Date: September 15, 2020 at 7:31:26 PM PDT
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 13:22:18 -0400

This document still addresses a real problem and provides a good 
solution.  The document is clear and complete.  I support publishing 
this as a Proposed Standard RFC.

Yours,
Joel

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 22:20:06 -0400

Bob Hinden <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > as a Proposed Standard.  As noted earlier, we are doing a second
    > working group last call because the Area Directors requested that this
    > draft be combined with <draft-ietf-v6ops-nd-cache-init>.  This version
    > of the draft does that.  V6ops is being copied on this last call.

I have read multiple versions of this document, including this version.

As well I have read a few versions of nd-cache-init.
I made some comments on a thread about nd-cache-init today, being confused
about the merger.  My comments were mostly curious questions, and probably do
not require any changes to the document.

I initially thought that some content was lost in the merge, but upon
re-reading carefully, it all seems to be there.

Wunderbar!

-- 
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [ 
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [ 
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [