Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-02.txt

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 15:39:08 +0100

Hi,

With co-authors we updated the implementation, the draft, and re-submitted.

This new version takes into account comments from linux implementers
that were expressed on this email list.

- removed the flag from the RA.
- added a parameter local to the Host (a sysctl in linux) which is off
   by default, thus respecting the 64bit boundary of RFC4291.  When the
   parameter is set the Host is allowed to form addresses out of prefixes
   whose lengths is different than 64.
- stressed that a race to the bottom should be avoided.
- other small text improvements.

Please have a look at the draft.  We are interested to hear
comments?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac

(and yes, I do remember that during last IETF one of the ideas discussed
for moving forward was a potential new lightweight protocol designed to
do prefix delegation with ND messages.  And no, this draft does not
advance on that particular idea; I can explain why separately if necessary.)

Alex

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : New Version Notification for draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-02.txt
Date : Mon, 22 Feb 2021 06:26:00 -0800
De : [email-masked]
Pour : Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>, Alexandre
Petrescu <[email-masked]>, Dmytro Shytyi
<[email-masked]>, Dusan Mudric <[email-masked]>, Gyan Mishra
<[email-masked]>, Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Alexandre Petrescu and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac
Revision:	02
Title:		SLAAC with prefixes of arbitrary length in PIO (Variable SLAAC)
Document date:	2021-02-22
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		31
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-02.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac/
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-02
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-02

Abstract:
    This draft proposes the use of arbitrary length prefixes in PIO for
    SLAAC.  A prefix of length 63 in PIO, for example, would be permitted
    to form an address whose interface identifier length is 65, which
    allows several benefits.  A prefix of length 65 would be allowed too,
    but it SHOULD NOT be used on a large scale, like at a large ISP; this
    is to avoid a race to the bottom.

    The implementation uses a parameter in the Host which is off by
    default.  In that case, the Host respects the 64bit boundary.  When
    the parameter is set to on the Host accepts prefixes of lengths
    different than 64 and forms 128bit addresses.

    In the past, various IPv6 addressing models have been proposed based
    on a subnet hierarchy embedding a 64-bit prefix.  The last remnant of
    IPv6 classful addressing is a inflexible interface identifier
    boundary at /64.  This document proposes flexibility to the fixed
    position of that boundary for interface addressing.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 15:48:50 +0100

For information, with respect to implementation:

- it is known that OpenBSD implements a form of Variable SLAAC in that
   allows Hosts to form addresses using SLAAC with prefixes different
   than 64.

- for FreeBSD: a co-author submitted a bug report, that I agree with.
   See https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=253005

- for linux, there is an open source implementation that has been
   submitted for consideration to the mainline kernel. As of Nov. 2020 it
   was this:
   https://github.com/dmytroshytyi/variable-slaac/releases/tag/2.0.3

Alex

Le 22/02/2021 à 15:39, Alexandre Petrescu a écrit :
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------