Subject: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-02.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 10:37:19 +1200

Hi,

This version is updated as follows:

      -  Give details of open issues
      -  Update authorship
      -  Editorial fixes

The idea is to use this version to open a discussion with the browser
community, in particular about the two open issues. Obviously that
will not start on this list, but of course we'll report back. Naturally,
the timescale for that is out of our hands.

Regards
    Brian

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-02.txt
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:24:11 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Representing IPv6 Zone Identifiers in Address Literals and Uniform Resource Identifiers
        Authors         : Brian Carpenter
                          Stuart Cheshire
                          Robert M. Hinden
	Filename        : draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2021-08-17

Abstract:
   This document describes how the zone identifier of an IPv6 scoped
   address, defined as <zone_id> in the IPv6 Scoped Address Architecture
   (RFC 4007), can be represented in a literal IPv6 address and in a
   Uniform Resource Identifier that includes such a literal address.  It
   updates the URI Generic Syntax specification (RFC 3986) accordingly,
   and obsoletes RFC 6874.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-02.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:05:33 +0100

> the timescale for that is out of our hands.

Looks ok overall.  Suggesting "-" as the address/zone-id delimiter token 
is intrinsically problematic not just because it constitutes a change in 
the separation token, but also because "-" is already used in the 
interface names on many styles of devices.  If this aspect of the draft 
is going to be passed over to browser people for discussion, it would 
helpful for them to know this because it opens up more parsing 
possibilities.

Nick

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:05:42 +1200

> helpful for them to know this because it opens up more parsing 

I suspect it doesn't matter if "-" is used. Even if an interface name
in its entirety was "-", fe80::abcd-- could still be parsed, and
fe80::abcd- would fail.

But yes, the point would need to be considered.

Thanks
   Brian