Subject: Embedded Technology Newsletter

From: Embedded Technology <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:37:27 -0700 (PDT)

============================================================
Embedded Technology.com Newsletter
Volume 1   Issue 19
Wednesday, September 15, 1999
============================================================

******** NATIONAL SPONSOR ********

The 9.99% fixed Bank One Platinum Business Card Visa. No annual fee and up
to $25,000 line of credit. Track expenses, simplify tax reporting, and
streamline your finances. Apply online by visiting:
http://app1.firstusa.com/card.cfm/XPL6UBC13/6B3Z

******** Embedded Technology.com’s Weekly Selection: *******

Mainframe Assembler Programming by William Qualls
Programmers acknowledge that understanding the internals of the machine helps
them write more efficient code in COBOL, C, and other high-level languages.
Retail Price: $44.99 Our Price: $37.99! You Save: $7.00 (16%)
To read more and purchase this book, visit:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990914/11120

****** FEATURED ARTICLES selected by Bruce Bennett *****

1) Local Storage for the Next Millennium
2) Quantum Licenses Insignia’s Jeode Platform
3) Wind River Systems, Inc. Names New CEO

------------------------------------------------------------

1) Local Storage for the Next Millennium
Flash memory is replacing conventional hard drives in many embedded
applications. Will it work for you? -- By Sharon Tikotzky, M-Systems

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990913/10971

2) Quantum Licenses Insignia’s Jeode Platform
Quantum Corp. and Insignia Solutions jointly announced today that Quantum will
license Insignia's Jeode EmbeddedJava-compatible software technology for future
development of embedded intelligence in storage devices and systems. Under the
terms of the agreement, Quantum will initially pay Insignia nearly three
million dollars for a development use license, non-recurring engineering and
maintenance fees, and pre-paid royalties.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990913/10973

3) Wind River Systems, Inc. Names New CEO
Wind River Systems, Inc., announced that they have hired Tom St. Dennis to be
their new CEO, effective Sept. 20, 1999. The appointment takes place as the
company focuses on new opportunities in high-growth Internet-related markets
and professional services consulting.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990913/10974

******** EDITOR'S CHOICE PRODUCTS ********

1) CompactPCI Single Board Computer
2) CompactPCI PC/AT Card
3) Emulator

------------------------------------------------------------

1) CompactPCI Single Board Computer
The cPCI-MXS includes a controller that provides three control signals for each
of the seven supported CPCI I/O slots.  These signals are used to detect the
insertion of hot swappable CPCI I/O boards, assert the board’s status and
control its startup. -- Teknor Industrial Computers, PQ Canada

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990913/10976

2) CompactPCI PC/AT Card
The cPRO3, a 3U CompactPCI, Socket 7-based processor board, is an extension of
the Proteus family of embedded computers.  It offers processor speeds up to 333
MHz, up to 128 MB of EDO DRAM, 512 KB of Level 2 cache, and up to 144 MB of
Flash Disk-on-Chip. -- SBS Technologies, Inc., Raleigh, NC

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990913/10979

3) Emulator
The USP-51A emulator with a POD32X2-60 fully emulates the TS80C32X2 device in
targets at the maximum clock speed of 64 MHz.  The POD uses the device for
emulation and allows it to switch between internal and external clock and power
sources via software control. -- Signum Systems, Moorpark, CA

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990913/8884

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

The award winning My Lycos is the fast and easy-to-use start page -
providing you with personalized news, weather, stock quotes, horoscopes,
weather, sports scores and more.  Try it now - http://my.lycos.com.

****** FEATURED COMPANY (information from sponsors): ******

Visit the company below for more industry news and product information:

Force Computers, founded in 1981, is a worldwide supplier of open, scalable,
high availability systems and board-level computer platforms for
telecommunications and industrial control applications. A processor-independent
company, Force Computers delivers products based on Pentium®, SPARC®, PowerPC™,
and 68K™ technologies.
Visit Force Computers at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/force.html

If you're planning on attending this year's Embedded Systems Conference in San
Jose, California, be sure to check out our pre-show coverage at
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990915/11374.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy reading Embedded Technology's Newsletter, please tell a
friend or colleague about it.  Anyone can sign up for a free
subscription on our Web site at http://www.embeddedtechnology.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're a company that wishes to sponsor this newsletter, please
contact Sherylen Yoak at mailto:[email-masked] to learn more.

==========================================================

If you wish to unsubscribe, please go to the following web page:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/content/newsletter/unsubscribe.asp

==========================================================
The Embedded Technology Homepage: http://www.embeddedtechnology.com

(c) Copyright 1999 VerticalNet, Inc. All rights reserved. All
product names contained herein are the trademarks of their
respective holders.