Subject: [ire] Extended Verification Process - FQDN step

From: David Kipling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:34:02 +0000

Hi Gustavo,

At NCC Group we are working on the extended verification process and after speaking with some of our customers and registry backend providers it was unclear as to how the step below could be tested effectively:

"An FQDN exists only as a domain name or NNDN."

Is this literally that any values in the name element of the domain record should not exist as the value of the aName element of an NNDN record?

e.g.

<rdeDom:name>example1.test</rdeDom:name> means the value of example1.test should not exist as a value of the <rdeNNDN:aName> tag e.g.  rdeNNDN:aName>example1.test</rdeNNDN:aName> and vice versa so if the element <rdeNNDN:aName>xn--exampl-gva.test</rdeNNDN:aName> exists then <rdeDom:name>xn--exampl-gva.test</rdeDom:name> should not exist in the deposit.

Regards

David
________________________________

David Kipling
Solutions Architect
NCC Group
Manchester Technology Centre,
Oxford Road
Manchester, M1 7EF

Telephone: +44 161 209 5430
Mobile:
Fax:
Website: www.nccgroup.com<http://www.nccgroup.com>
Email:  [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
        [http://www.nccgroup.com/media/192418/nccgrouplogo.jpg]  <http://www.nccgroup.com/>
________________________________

This email is sent for and on behalf of NCC Group. NCC Group is the trading name of NCC Services Limited (Registered in England CRN: 2802141). Registered Office: Manchester Technology Centre, Oxford Road, Manchester, M1 7EF. The ultimate holding company is NCC Group plc (Registered in England CRN: 4627044).

Confidentiality: This e-mail contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then delete the original. If you are not the intended recipient you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any information contained in this e-mail. You must not inform any other person other than NCC Group or the sender of its existence.

For more information about NCC Group please visit www.nccgroup.com<http://www.nccgroup.com>

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT

For more information please visit <a href="http://www.mimecast.com">http://www.mimecast.com<br>
This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast.
</a>

---

From: Gustavo Lozano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:17:15 -0700

Hi David,

Comments inline.

Regards,
Gustavo

On 3/22/13 5:34 AM, "David Kipling" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi Gustavo,
>
>At NCC Group we are working on the extended verification process and
>after speaking with some of our customers and registry backend providers
>it was unclear as to how the step below could be tested effectively:
>
>Is this literally that any values in the name element of the domain
>record should not exist as the value of the aName element of an NNDN
>record?
>
>e.g.
>
><rdeDom:name>example1.test</rdeDom:name> means the value of example1.test
>should not exist as a value of the <rdeNNDN:aName> tag e.g.
>rdeNNDN:aName>example1.test</rdeNNDN:aName> and vice versa so if the
>element <rdeNNDN:aName>xn--exampl-gva.test</rdeNNDN:aName> exists then
><rdeDom:name>xn--exampl-gva.test</rdeDom:name> should not exist in the
>deposit.

You are correct.

The NNDN object was created to support those registries that
use a reserved list of names that are not created as domain objects and
also to
support the use case of using a name (but not a domain object) to specify
granular policies regarding IDN variants handling.

If a registry creates reserved names as domain objects with
an internal registrar for example, such registry may only use domain
objects.

If a registry handle reserved names as a list of names, such
registry may use the NNDN object.

If a registry creates variants in blocked or withheld
state, such registry may use the NNDN object instead of a creating a domain
object.

If a registry creates mirror variants algorithmically, such registry may
use
the NNDN to block variants that are not valid.

The registry must choose if the use of a NNDN is appropriate
based on the design of its SRS. Basically a NNDN is like a light domain
object
with no registrar, registrant or NS servers associated to it.

Regards,
Gustavo

>This email is sent for and on behalf of NCC Group. NCC Group is the
>trading name of NCC Services Limited (Registered in England CRN:
>2802141). Registered Office: Manchester Technology Centre, Oxford Road,
>Manchester, M1 7EF. The ultimate holding company is NCC Group plc
>(Registered in England CRN: 4627044).
>
>Confidentiality: This e-mail contains proprietary information, some or
>all of which may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It is for the
>intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has
>misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this
>e-mail and then delete the original. If you are not the intended
>recipient you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on
>any information contained in this e-mail. You must not inform any other
>person other than NCC Group or the sender of its existence.
>
>For more information about NCC Group please visit
>www.nccgroup.com<http://www.nccgroup.com>
>
>For more information please visit <a
>href="http://www.mimecast.com">http://www.mimecast.com<br>