Subject: [Isis-wg] Encoding of TE Sub-TLVs

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:11:57 -0500

Henk, Tony -

	Has the layouot of TE sub-TLVs has been written up? 
In  draft-ietf-isis-traffic-02.txt 

	(http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-traffic-02.txt)

you don't really describe how the sub-TLVs are encoded.
All of the examples given are fixed length, allowing an unwary 
implementor to imagine that they might be implemented as TV's 
rather than TLVs (that is, one is at risk of imagining that 
the length could be omitted).  I can propose text to the list, 
but won't do so if this has been described someplace.    

- jeff parker
- axiowave networks
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:05:30 -0800 (PST)

Jeff,

Not doing a TLV is unthinkable, as that would completely break the spirit
of the IS-IS design.

If you would like to propose text, that's fine.  It's probably best to give
it to Henk as he has a bit more spare time than I do at present.

Tony

Jeff Parker writes:
 | Henk, Tony -
 | 
 | 	Has the layouot of TE sub-TLVs has been written up? 
 | In  draft-ietf-isis-traffic-02.txt 
 | 
 | 	(http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-traffic-02.txt)
 | 
 | you don't really describe how the sub-TLVs are encoded.
 | All of the examples given are fixed length, allowing an unwary 
 | implementor to imagine that they might be implemented as TV's 
 | rather than TLVs (that is, one is at risk of imagining that 
 | the length could be omitted).  I can propose text to the list, 
 | but won't do so if this has been described someplace.    
 | 
 | - jeff parker
 | - axiowave networks
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg