Subject: [Isis-wg] TLV Assignment Conflict

From: Les Ginsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:50:25 -0700

> 2. Optional checksums goes last call, no comments since a while,
>    implementation works from all I heard.
> 

Sorry for the VERY belated response here, but I just noticed this issue on a
recent review of the revised second edition draft of ISO 10589.

There is a TLV assignment conflict between the TLV assigned in
<draft-ietf-isis-wg-snp-checksum-01.txt>

     TLV Type = 12

and the new TLVs introduced by the SIF work on mismatched LSPBufferSize
which were assigned

   TLV Type 12 - originatingL1LSPBufferSize
   TLV Type 13 - originatingL2LSPBufferSize

As a matter of history, the SIF proposal was published in 1998 both within
SIF and to this group. The new TLVs are now part of the revised Second
Edition draft of ISO 10589 which is pretty much in its final form and
winding its way through the ISO approval process. 

I would not begin to speculate on the number of implementations affected by
a change to one or the other - but clearly some folks are going to be
affected by whichever TLV is reassigned.

Given that no entity/person has taken responsibility for assigning TLV
codes, I suppose this was inevitable - and I am not sure how this gets
resolved - but clearly it needs to be resolved. 

It is unfortunate that no one, including myself, ever noticed this before,
but...

   Les

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg