Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] More vendor data on IP/GigE MTU

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:13:02 -0600

> All of the pos links I've checked are 4470 mtu, so that's what
> I'd go with. I don't see where the 9180 is gaining you much more,
> at least until media that support this sort of mtu are widely
> deployed. We can always push a change to this in the future, if
> it would be advantageous to do so.

Agreed, and I for one am ot aware of SPs configuring their 
POS links with smaller MTUs.  

I'd also like to hear from other GE switch/router vendors
that agree with Ran that 9180 is 'de facto', we've only heard 
from one thus far (i.e., Ran's).

-danny

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:05:42 -0400

>from one thus far (i.e., Ran's).

Foundry, Cisco (most products, one exception that I've heard
about anecdotally), and Alteon (original proponent of 9180; 
now owned by Nortel) all support 9180 IP MTU  (9200 byte Ethernet MTU).  
A range of workstations/servers, including WindowsNT/Windows2000,
support it.  Not all of those vendors are subscribed to the
IS-IS mailing list, by the way, so I'd encourage you to pick
up the phone if you want to hear answers from them directly.

Ran