Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] Proprietary / Private TLV numbers?

From: mike shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:55:33 +0100

At 15:38 11/06/2002 +0100, Philip Christian wrote:
>On receipt of an LSP a router MUST ignore TLVs of type XXX that
>    include an OUI from a different organization,

MUST is a bit strong here. SHOULD or MAY, perhaps. If you know how to parse 
company X's subTLVs you should be allowed to do so.

I'm not sure we want to get into mentioning non-standard OUIs with G or L 
bits set.

         Mike

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Jeff Learman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:24:55 -0400

>>   include an OUI from a different organization,

I pointed this out before, and Philip agreed, but seems to have forgotten
it.  Philip, please look for my email and any other items on it you
omitted.

This should say "a router MUST ignore TLVs with unrecognized OUIs."
It has nothing to do with proprietorship of the OUI, only the
interpretation.

Or is this another old email storm? ;-)

Jeff

>MUST is a bit strong here. SHOULD or MAY, perhaps. If you know how to parse company X's subTLVs you should be allowed to do so.
>
>I'm not sure we want to get into mentioning non-standard OUIs with G or L bits set.
>
>        Mike
>