Subject: [Isis-wg] checking on rough consensus ....

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 09:54:25 -0700

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have the following draft (renamed personal
submission) coming in as official draft as it was discussed a 
while ago on the list.  Since the whole discussion
has happened a tad back, we wanted to make sure that we have (still)
rough consensus of the group 
that we should take it on as an official workgroup
item. In case no objections are raised, we will confirm the draft 
in 3 days

	thanks 

	-- chairs

Network Working Group                                   Christian Martin
INTERNET DRAFT                                 Verizon Internet Services
Expiration Date: January 2003                                  Brad Neal
                                                Broadwing Communications
                                                         Stefano Previdi
August 2002                                                Cisco Systems

     A Policy Control Mechanism is IS-IS Using Administrative Tags
                  <draft-ietf-isis-admin-tags-05.txt>

1. Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC 2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

2. Abstract

   This document describes an extension to the IS-IS protocol to add
   operational capabilities that allow for ease of management and
   control over IP prefix distribution within an IS-IS domain.  The IS-
   IS protocol is specified in [1], with extensions for supporting IPv4
   specified in [2] and further enhancements for Traffic Engineering [4]
   in [3] and [6].

   This document enhances the IS-IS protocol by extending the
   information that a Intermediate System (IS) [router] can place in
   Link State Protocol Data Units (LSPs) as specified in [2].  This

Martin, Neal, Previdi    Expires January 2003                  [Page 1]

INTERNET DRAFT     draft-ietf-isis-admin-tags-05.txt        August 2002

   extension will provide operators with a mechanism to control IP
   prefix distribution throughout multi-level IS-IS domains.
   Additionally, the information can be placed in LSPs that have TLVs as
   yet undefined, if this information is used to convey the same meaning
   in these future TLVs as it is used in the currently defined TLVs.

3. Specification of Requirements

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC 2119].

4. Introduction

   As defined in [2] and extended in [3], the IS-IS protocol may be used
   to distribute IP prefix reachibility information throughout an IS-IS
   domain.  The IP prefix information is encoded as TLV type 128 and 130
   in [2], with additional information carried in TLV 135 as specified
   in [3] and TLV 235 as defined in [6].  In particular, the extended IP
   Reachabilty TLV (135) contains support for a larger metric space, an
   up/down bit to indicate redistribution between different levels in
   the hierarchy, an IP prefix, and one or more sub-TLVs that can be
   used to carry specific information about the prefix.  TLV 235 is a
   derivative of TLV 135, with the addition of MultiTopology membership
   information [6].

   As of this writing no sub-TLVs have been defined; however, this draft
   proposes 2 new sub-TLVs for both TLV 135 and TLV 235 that may be used
   to carry administrative information about an IP prefix.

5. Sub-TLV Additions

   This draft proposes 2 new "Administrative Tag" sub-TLVs to be added
   to TLV 135 and 235.  These TLVs specify one or more ordered, 32 or 64
   bit unsigned integers that may be associated with an IP prefix.
   Example uses of these tags include controlling redistribution between
   levels and areas, different routing protocols, or multiple instances
   of IS-IS running on the same router, or carrying BGP standard or
   extended communites.

   The methods for which their use is employed is beyond the scope of
   this document and left to the implementer and/or operator.

   The encoding of the sub-TLV(s) is discussed in the following

Martin, Neal, Previdi    Expires January 2003                  [Page 2]

INTERNET DRAFT     draft-ietf-isis-admin-tags-05.txt        August 2002

   subsections.

5.1. 32-bit Administrative Tag Sub-TLV 1

   The Administrative Tag shall be encoded as one or more 4 octet
   unsigned integers using Sub-TLV 1 in TLV-135 [3] and TLV 235 [6]. The
   Administrative Tag Sub-TLV has following structure:

        1 octet of type (value: 1)
        1 octet of length (value: multiple of 4)
        one or more instances of 4 octets of administrative tag

   An implementation may consider only one of the encoded tags, in which
   case the first encoded tag must be considered.  A tag value of zero
   is reserved and should be treated as "no tag".

5.2. 64-bit Administrative Tag Sub-TLV 2

   The Administrative Tag shall be encoded as one or more 8 octet
   unsigned integers using Sub-TLV 2 in TLV-135 [3] and TLV 235 [6]. The
   64-bit Administrative Tag Sub-TLV has following structure:

        1 octet of type (value: 1)
        1 octet of length (value: multiple of 8)
        one or more instances of 8 octets of administrative tag

   An implementation may consider only one of the encoded tags, in which
   case the first encoded tag must be considered.  A tag value of zero
   is reserved and should be treated as "no tag".

6. Ordering of Tags

   The semantics of the tag order are implementation-dependent.  That
   is, there is no implied meaning to the ordering of the tags that
   indicates a certain operation or set of operations need be performed,
   based on the order of the tags.  Each tag SHOULD be treated as an
   autonomous identifier that MAY be used in policy to perform a policy
   action.  Whether or not tag A preceeds or succeeds tag B SHOULD not
   change the meaning of the tag set.  However, an implementation MAY
   wish to preserve tag ordering such that an ordered set of tags has
   meaning to the local policy.

   Each IS that receives an LSP with TLV(s) 135 and/or 235, that have
   associated SubTLV(s) 1 and/or 2, MAY operate on the tag values as
   warranted by the implementation.  If an implementation needs to

Martin, Neal, Previdi    Expires January 2003                  [Page 3]

INTERNET DRAFT     draft-ietf-isis-admin-tags-05.txt        August 2002

   change tag values, for example, at an area boundary, then the TLV(s)
   SHOULD be copied to the newly generated Level-1 or Level-2 LSP at
   which point, the contents of the SubTLV(s) MAY change as dictated by
   the policy action.  In the event that no change is required, the
   SubTLV(s) SHOULD be copied in order into the new LSP, such that
   ordering is preserved.

7. A compliant IS-IS implementation:

   MUST be able to assign one tag to any IP prefix in TLV(s) 135 and/or
   235.

   MAY be able to assign more than one tag to any IP prefix in TLV(s)
   135 and/or 235.

   MAY be able to rewrite or remove one or more tags associated with a
   prefix in TLV(s) 135 and/or 235 upon LSP generation at an area
   boundary.

8. Operation

   An administrator associates an Administrative Tag value with some
   interesting property.  When IS-IS advertises reachability for some IP
   prefix that has that property, it adds the Administrative Tag to the
   IP reachability information TLV for that prefix, and the tag "sticks"
   to the prefix as it is flooded throughout the routing domian.

   Consider the network in figure 1. We wish to "leak" L1 prefixes [5]
   with some property, A, from L2 to the L1 router R1.  Without policy-
   groups, there is no way for R2 to know property A prefixes from
   property B prefixes.

                    R2--------R3--------R4
             L2     /                    \         
             - - - /- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
             L1   /                        \              
                R5----1.1.1.0/24 (A)       R5
                                            |
                                            |
                                      1.1.2.0/24 (B)

                           Figure 1

Martin, Neal, Previdi    Expires January 2003                  [Page 4]

INTERNET DRAFT     draft-ietf-isis-admin-tags-05.txt        August 2002

   We associate Administrative Tag 100 with property A, and have R5
   attach that value to the IP extended reachability information TLV for
   prefix 1.1.1.0/24. R2 has a policy in place to "match prefixes with
   Administrative Tag 100, and leak to L1."

   The previous example is rather simplistic; it seems that it would be
   just as easy for R2 simply to match the prefix 1.1.1.0/24. However,
   if there are a large number of routers that need to apply some policy
   according to property A and large number of "A" prefixes, this
   mechanism can be quite helpful.

9. Security Considerations

   This document raises no new security issues for IS-IS, as any
   annotations to IP prefixes should not pass outside the administrative
   control of the network operator of the IS-IS domain.  Such an
   allowance would violate the spirit of Interior Gateway Protocols in
   general and IS-IS in particular.

10. IANA Considerations

   The authors have chosen "1" as the typecode of the 32-bit
   Administrative Tag sub-TLV and "2" as the typecode of the 64-bt
   Administrative Tag SubTLV.  These values must be allocated by IANA.

11. Acknowledgments

   The authors would like to thank Henk Smit for clarifying the best
   place to describe this new information, Tony Li and Tony Przygienda
   for useful comments on this draft, Danny McPherson for some much
   needed formatting assistance, and Mike Shand for useful discussions
   on encoding structure of the sub-TLV.

Martin, Neal, Previdi    Expires January 2003                  [Page 5]

INTERNET DRAFT     draft-ietf-isis-admin-tags-05.txt        August 2002

12. References

   [1] "Intermediate System to Intermediate System Intra-Domain Routeing
       Exchange Protocol for use in Conjunction with the Protocol for
       Providing the Connectionless-mode Network Service (ISO 8473)",
       ISO 10589.

   [2] Callon, R., RFC 1195, "Use of OSI IS-IS for routing in TCP/IP and
       dual environments", RFC 1195, December 1990.

   [3] Li, T., and Smit, H., "IS-IS extensions for Traffic Engineering",
       Internet Draft, "Work in Progress", September 2000.

   [4] Adwuche, D., Malcolm, J., Agogbua, M., O'Dell, M. and McManus,
       J., "Requirements for Traffic Engineering Over MPLS," RFC 2702,
       September 1999.

   [5] Li,T., Przygienda, T., Smit, H., "Domain-wide Prefix Distribution
       with Two-Level IS-IS" RFC 2966, October 2000

   [6] Przygienda, T., Shen, N., Sheth, N., "M-ISIS: Multi Topology
       Routing in IS-IS", draft-ietf-isis-wg-multi-topology-03.txt, April
       2002.

13. Authors' Address

   Christian Martin
   Verizon Internet Services
   1880 Campus Commons Dr
   Reston, VA 20191
   Email: [email-masked]

   Brad Neal
   Broadwing Communications
   1835 Kramer Lane - Suite 100
   Austin, TX 78758
   USA
   Email: [email-masked]

   Stefano Previdi
   Cisco Systems, Inc.
   De Kleetlaan 6A
   1831 Diegem - Belgium
   email: [email-masked]

Martin, Neal, Previdi    Expires January 2003                  [Page 6]

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg