Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] IS-IS MIB and multiple protocol instances.

From: "Don Goodspeed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:00:52 -0400 (EDT)

All,

Being a user of SNMP contexts and also being a protocols tester,
while having the index in the tables is nice, as Chris points out,
it is not required.  Not only does OSPF use contexts for multiple
instances, but so do BGP, RIP, etc.  In fact some vendors support
many of the standard IP MIB tables in this manner as well.

I haven't yet spoken with Jeff on this issue but if it helps to
move the MIB forward by removing these extra indices, then I would
tend to favor making this change.

Take care,
Don

==============================================
The current IS-IS MIB supports multiple protocol instances on a router
by adding an index to every table in the MIB. This seems messy to me.
The OSPF MIB deals with multiple instances by using a feature of SNMPv3
(contexts). This seems like a very nice solution to me.

I think its very important to also consider how many people actually
use multiple IS-IS protocol instances on a single router when we make
our decision. I'd prefer to not complicate the MIB as it currently is
if we don't have to. Given that many more people use multiple OSPF
instances I suspect this will put pressure on the context solution
being deployed and thus quite usable for us.

In any case I don't want to spend a large amount of time on this issue.
It is my hope that we can get the MIB to last call by or before the
next IETF meeting.

Chris.

_______________________________________________
Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
The most personalized portal on the Web!

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Christian Hopps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:00:27 -0700

> tend to favor making this change.

Jeff expressed to me in private mail that he is willing to remove the 
instance index from the MIB. I've also communicated with Dave and he's 
in agreement that we should remove the instance index.

I'll let this sit until the end of the week to allow for dissenting 
opinions, but after that I will request Jeff remove the instance index 
and add some text on the use of contexts.

Thanks,
Chris.