Subject: [Isis-wg] IS-IS MIB and multiple protocol instances.

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:06:25 -0400

This is about the initial index, sysInstance, in every table of the IS-IS
MIB.  Chris Gunner included this in the version I inherited.  The rational
is to provide access on systems with multiple Virtual Routers.

There are other ways to do this: the standard is to use SNMP proxies.  As
best I understand it, that requires a distinct identity, including a
distinct IP address, for each virtual router.  This has been seen as a
burden by others, including folks working on the OSPF MIB.

I will take a look in my archives and see if I can find any old threads on
the subject.

- jeff parker

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 15:30:32 -0400

>burden by others, including folks working on the OSPF MIB.

My understanding is that the usual way to do this is to use the
Entity MIB, RFC 2737, which can give you a mapping of logical entity
to either an SNMPv1 community or SNMPv3 EngineID + Context.  This
does not require distinct IP addresses.

  Bill