Subject: Re: [Isms] ISMS solution selection procedure

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:41:19 -0800

HI,

Back in the BOFs I presented some slides that went through the
scenarios with regards to what was needed to be done in the
operations that have to do with security. That is, for
operational actions such as deploying a new device (such
as a router), adding access for a new user, removing
access for a user, changing a user's secrets, etc,
what were the additional steps that had to be taken
for SNMP. And by additional steps, it was the realization
that a large majority of devices already used other management
interfaces (such as a command line via serial line or via SSH,
or Web Browser) that had to be set up for security, and that
if nothing else was needed to be done for SNMP, then
the goal of integration had occured.

So, I suggest that the selection procedure consist of listing
the operational tasks. And then list the actions needed to
support each operational task for each ISMS proposal with
each of the leading security authentication infrastructures/methods.
Once this is done, if a clear choice is not obvious, then
additional approaches can also be used.

Regards,
/david t. perkins

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms