Subject: [Isms] ISMS #6: authentication of the notifications receiver

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:48:14 +0100

ISMS #6: authentication of the notifications receiver
Status: open

Dave Harrington wrote:

    authentication of the notification receiver

We first need to clarify what is missing here to understand the issue.

Q6.1: What is missing in this context?

Q6.2: What are the possible solutions and their pros/cons?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:45:12 -0500

Hi,

We have not resolved whether the principal associated with a
notification receiver must be a principal (aka user) or whether a
hostname is adequate. There are many aspects of this problem, and the
WG needs to discuss these and reach some consensus on how we want to
proceed.

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:48 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Isms] ISMS #6: authentication of the notifications
receiver

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:12:27 -0800

Hi -

> From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:45 PM
> Subject: RE: [Isms] ISMS #6: authentication of the notifications receiver
...
> WG needs to discuss these and reach some consensus on how we want to
...

As far as the SNMP infrastructure is concerned, it *is* a principal.
It's really agnostic about whether a principal happens to be a user or
something else, even though we created a "user-based" security
model.  The real question here is the *operational* one.  Here's a
use case; you be the judge of whether it's realistic or not:

There are two notification receiver applications on a host.
One, running on behalf of security admin, gathers security
alarms.  The other, running on behalf of joe operator, gets
everything else.  Security admin and joe operator do not
trust each other, and while willing to run on the same box,
are not willing to run a shared application.

Randy