Subject: [Isms] new radius vacm document editor

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:54:27 +0100

Hi,

Randy Presuhn has agreed to take the pen for the RADIUS/VACM document
so that we can move this work item forward. Randy has been one of the
editors of the VACM document (RFC3415) adn this should help with
getting the SNMP side align well with VACM.

The current plan is to get a -00 version of a WG document out soon
based on David Nelson's / Kaushik Narayan's individual draft, which
likely contains a number of open issues that we then try to resolve
here on the mailing list.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "David B. Nelson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:13:13 -0500

> so that we can move this work item forward.

Thanks to Randy for offering his assistance.

> Randy has been one of the editors of the VACM document (RFC3415)
> adn this should help with getting the SNMP side align well with VACM.

Indeed.  Kaushik and I were a bit stuck waiting for some expert  
consultation on the "SNMP side", as you say.

> here on the mailing list.

I will shortly publish a -01 of the individual draft, representing the  
state of the document as it was presented to Randy, to create a  
snapshot of the work.  The WG should not be confused that is is  
intended to be the version that gets WG review and comment.  It's  
primarily for short-term archival purposes.

---

From: "Dave Nelson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:23:52 -0500

> primarily for short-term archival purposes.

This revision has now been posted as:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nelson-isms-extended-vacm-01.txt

The open issues in this (last) revision of the individual submission
document are as follows:

(1) Is this document an amendment or update to RFC 3514?  Or is it simply a
standalone document that describes how to provision certain MIB Objects
defined in RFC 3514, along with an extended set of augmenting table columns?

(2) Does this document need to make any reference to the Elements of
Procedure in RFC 3514, or does is simply need its own Elements of Procedure
for updating the group mapping table?

(3) Where should the MIB Module defined in this document be rooted?

(4) Dave Harrington had issued a summary email after IETF75 containing
apparently contradictory statements about whether the additional columns
should be in the *same* table that VACM uses or in another, separate table
that augments the VACM table.  Basically, we need some help in actually
structuring the new MIB Module.

(5) The Groups and Conformance sections of the new MIB Module are missing.

(6) Make sure that the new Elements of Procedure make sense and cover all
the corner cases correctly.

(7) Generally make the document look like an "SNMP document".  :-)