Subject: [Isms] Last Call: draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for SNMP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:16:55 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has received a request from the Integrated Security Model for 
SNMP WG (isms) to consider the following document:

- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for SNMP '
   <draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2010-04-02. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm-09.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=19028&rfc_flag=0

---

From: Robert Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:52:25 -0500

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:16:55 -0800 The wrote:
TI> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
TI> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
TI> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2010-04-02.

I didn't notice that some MIB objects got renamed between the 07 and 08
versions of the draft:

 dratf 07                          draft 08 / current version
 -------------------------------   ----------------------------
 snmpTlstmSessionClientOpens,      snmpTlstmSessionOpens,
 snmpTlstmSessionClientCloses,     snmpTlstmSessionClientCloses,
 snmpTlstmSessionClientOpenErrors, snmpTlstmSessionOpenErrors,
 snmpTlstmSessionServerOpens,      snmpTlstmSessionAccepts,
 snmpTlstmSessionServerCloses,     snmpTlstmSessionServerCloses,

I think that the inconsistent use of 'Client' and 'Server' in the
object names is confusing. Both snmpTlstmSessionOpens and
snmpTlstmSessionOpenErrors are client-side only objects, and
snmpTlstmSessionAccepts is a server-side only object. Putting
Client/Server back in the object names will make it much easier to
understand the output of a snmpwalk without having to refer to the
description clause in the MIB.

-- 
Robert Story
Senior Software Engineer
SPARTA (dba Cobham Analytic Soloutions)

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:18:14 -0800

>>>>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:52:25 -0500, Robert Story <[email-masked]> said:

RS> I think that the inconsistent use of 'Client' and 'Server' in the
RS> object names is confusing. Both snmpTlstmSessionOpens and
RS> snmpTlstmSessionOpenErrors are client-side only objects, and
RS> snmpTlstmSessionAccepts is a server-side only object. Putting
RS> Client/Server back in the object names will make it much easier to
RS> understand the output of a snmpwalk without having to refer to the
RS> description clause in the MIB.

This naming scheme was the result of a previous discussion (that I
lost!) and the decision at the time was that the words "client" and
"server" weren't needed in objects that were already only useful for
that type of entity.  IE: "ServerAccepts" is redundant since only a
server can accept new connections.

Because this is already a closed issue I don't see a need to revisit the
discussion.
-- 
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions